Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upper Pan Hard Bar and Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upper Pan Hard Bar and Fuel Tank

ey Guys,

Replaced my OEM fuel pump with the Racetronix 255 LPH fuel pump. I didn't didn't do the harness at this time as the pump is good for about 550 RWHP. However I'm dropped on bilstein's and strano's and my upper panhard brace a portion of it rests on against the fuel tank.

Now I help a high performance shop here in town put the tank in the shop owner and myself got that tank in there snug as the straps only really fit one way. However we originally had the pump in there very flush and snug and we had to get the vent lines up and around the tank. So flush in fact we had to drop the tank down and feed the lines through then bolt the tank up.

So we took the straps off, dropped the tank down and re-fitted the lines up and around and then put the straps up against the tank. The straps are perfectly line tank with the divisions on the tank.

Once we fitted the tank and got mostly everything put back together, I realized that the upper panhard brace about oh I'd say 5-6 inches from the 3 bolts on the driver side, that bar is resting against the fuel tank.

I drove the car, did two WOT passes to check the pump out and did a little burnout for a bit of fun. No noise from the rear of the tank or rear end which is a good thing lol

Before I dropped the car down on the strano's in the rear there was a nice clearance gap between the bar and tank, now with the lowering springs this upper brace rests against the tank.

I'll try and snap a few pictures this afternoon and post them here. In the mean time does anyone else have this issue? All the bolts are in the correct positions, torques etc.

Thanks for the help,

Devin
Attached Thumbnails Upper Pan Hard Bar and Fuel Tank-497324d1430179698-upper-pan-hard-brace-fuel-tank-image.jpg   Upper Pan Hard Bar and Fuel Tank-497325d1430179993-upper-pan-hard-brace-fuel-tank-image.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've also posted this in the lt1 / lt4 section of the forum, I double checked the tank and everything is snug and the straps only really fit one way and the bolts and brackets for the strap bolts are snug in the chassis.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

That bar is not supposed to touch the tank. Yall installed the tank wrong.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks looks like I'm on my own with it now. It's a few week wait and the guy keeps saying it's my suspension or lowering springs causing the issue. So looks like it's on me to fix it. However the tank is flush and the straps only fit on way. Looks like this weekend I'll be having a fuel tank party ha
Old 04-28-2015, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like a few cars around here have the same issue. Even looked at a stock suspension lt1
Old 04-28-2015, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Suspension has nothing to do with it. Its a stationary brace that just bolts to the chassis and doesn't move.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Suspension has nothing to do with it. Its a stationary brace that just bolts to the chassis and doesn't move.
So not to hit tank.

Brace near bar. Tank never removed.

Tank never removed 96 camaro ss

Quick Reply: Upper Pan Hard Bar and Fuel Tank