Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What suspension changes are required for mini-tub?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

Default What suspension changes are required for mini-tub?

One of the next things that I am doing to my TA is a mini-tub so I can fit some 12" wide wheels... I read somewhere that the suspension has to be moved, and I read somewhere that I would just have to switch to coil-over.

Anyone know what the actual requirements are to mini-tub a 4th gen F Body?
Old 05-10-2015, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you do a mini tub, to take full advantage of it, the stock upper spring perch gets cut into, so you will need a coilover rear shock conversion or like wolfes 2.5" spring perch kit. You'll also will need offset lower control arms or even race crafts lca relocation kit that moves the lca mounting point on the body inwards on the other side of the factory mount.

As for the the 12" rim, if you keep the stock suspension brackets in the factory position on the rear you can narrow the rear 3" and and use a 6.25" rim backspacing or 2" narrow and 7.25 backspacing (but the rim will come very close to a lot of mounts). If you tuck it this much your probably going to need the racecraft kit.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

I am looking at wheels from 6LE Design. I think they are designed with stock f body offsets.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What size tire are you looking to go with? Offset and tire size are 2 big determining factors on what is necessary to fit. My car with stock but "massaged" factory wheel wells and regular centered lower control arms fit a 325/50/15 drag radial on a 10" wheel while still being tucked slightly into the fender well on a stock width axle. We offer an offset rod-end style lower control arm to allow extra tire clearance, but I would like to make sure you would actually need all of that before recommending those
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 18x12s on the back of my TA. Had to cut the bump stops off for sure. They put metal around the spring like stock but that really should get removed also. Next if you aren't running a taller tire you could modify the stock wheel wheel and bring it in more so it wouldn't rub. Mine rubs after using a bfh to beat it in at the radius on the inside of the wheel well. Only rubs on a lot of travel from the rear though.

I also have relocated lcas, narrowed rear 3 inchs and the tires I'm using are bfg kdw2 335s 18s

Quick Reply: What suspension changes are required for mini-tub?