Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BAD wheel hop STOCK power

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD wheel hop STOCK power

I just picked up a 2000 t/a a4 non-tcs car a few weeks ago, I have noticed through playing with it a little, the car wheel hops like crazy.

At first I thought it was just from brake stalling the car, but came to the conclusion it will hop even from a dead stop idle to WOT. The previous owner got new rear shocks and a new transmission mount installed and provided a receipt for it. What direction should I be headed to fix this issue? If the mount is a cheap aftermarket, could that solely be the cause? Do I need lower control arms/a panhard rod bar?

Also this has happened in the car a handful of times now. I really don't want anything to happen to my rear end. Is the rear end going to be alright or has some damage already been done?
Old 08-09-2015, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LCA's with relocation brackets should do the trick
Old 08-09-2015, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 552 Likes on 428 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

^^^^^ Aftermarket rear lower control arms with poly bushings should do the trick.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

So I take it that it is normal for these cars to have wheel hop like this? Even in stock form?
Old 08-09-2015, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
^^^^^ Aftermarket rear lower control arms with poly bushings should do the trick.
The relo brackets are what will fix this. I would vote stock LCAs loaded with 1LE bushings or heim joint LCAs before poly/poly LCAs.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

what kind of new rear shocks were put on ???
Old 08-09-2015, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
Screw poly bushings for street use. No thanks!

Originally Posted by Project Bird
So I take it that it is normal for these cars to have wheel hop like this? Even in stock form?
When things wear out, yeah

My old 98 started hopping badly. It was because the LCA bushings were shot. New bushings on the stock LCAs took care of wheel hop on the street. Don't even really need relocation brackets for street use.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
what kind of new rear shocks were put on ???
Honestly I couldn't tell you but the shop receipt says they were about 50 bucks each which sounds like they are junk
Old 08-09-2015, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly I couldn't tell you but the shop receipt says they were about 50 bucks each which sounds like they are junk
I'll put down a hundred bucks and say that they were Sensa-tracs. They're pretty much worse than trash after they get worn They are very good at letting the springs oscillate up and down a lot ha
Old 08-09-2015, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a 2000 t/a a4 non-tcs car a few weeks ago, I have noticed through playing with it a little, the car wheel hops like crazy.

At first I thought it was just from brake stalling the car, but came to the conclusion it will hop even from a dead stop idle to WOT. The previous owner got new rear shocks and a new transmission mount installed and provided a receipt for it. What direction should I be headed to fix this issue? If the mount is a cheap aftermarket, could that solely be the cause? Do I need lower control arms/a panhard rod bar?

Also this has happened in the car a handful of times now. I really don't want anything to happen to my rear end. Is the rear end going to be alright or has some damage already been done?
Mine did this so bad until I started messing with my suspension.. I now have, strut tower brace, weld in 3 point subframe connectors, bilstein shocks, strano springs, new shock mounts, new bumpstops, strano hollow 35/22 sway bars with new hardware, adjustable panhard bar, tubular LCA's with relocation brackets, and probably a lot more I'm forgetting. This thing handles like a dream and will give you whiplash In the corners now. No more wheel hop! Basically from the factory, the engine puts out WAY to much power for the frame it's on. Adding aftermarket suspension stuff is essentially catching up the "chassis" or subframe to the power level the cars putting out. And to all the non poly guys, what's the biggie? My car has poly everywhere basically and doesn't ride to harsh on the street and handles awesomely...
Old 08-09-2015, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VoyagerCamaro
Mine did this so bad until I started messing with my suspension.. I now have, strut tower brace, weld in 3 point subframe connectors, bilstein shocks, strano springs, new shock mounts, new bumpstops, strano hollow 35/22 sway bars with new hardware, adjustable panhard bar, tubular LCA's with relocation brackets, and probably a lot more I'm forgetting. This thing handles like a dream and will give you whiplash In the corners now. No more wheel hop! Basically from the factory, the engine puts out WAY to much power for the frame it's on. Adding aftermarket suspension stuff is essentially catching up the "chassis" or subframe to the power level the cars putting out. And to all the non poly guys, what's the biggie? My car has poly everywhere basically and doesn't ride to harsh on the street and handles awesomely...
http://www.crystalridge.net/cars/bushings.htm
http://www.ls1.com/forums/f66/poly-v...7/#post2701969
Old 08-11-2015, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I never really had serious wheel hop issues, but I felt a noticeable difference when I installed new LCA's with relocation brackets. The car felt more planted and launched a lot better. I would spin going from 1st to 2nd gear, but now it barely chirps the tires. I went with Founders and couldn’t be happier.

Quick Reply: BAD wheel hop STOCK power