Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Maybe a stupid question...(suspension related)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 01:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maybe a stupid question...(suspension related)

I am wanting to do coil overs both front and rear but don't want to spend the 1700+ for the LG kit. I would like to do the Hals since they are good for drag racing but at the same time it will allow me to lower the car a little for everyday driving, or that is the impression I am getting. Here is the stupid question, can I just get 2 sets of front shocks and get a different spring rate for the rear???? I know I would loose the rear springs. I have been reading and it seems like a lot of people aren't too happy with the way the Ground Control kit is in the rear. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

That wouldn't work as the mounting is different and the length and travel is probably different as well front to rear.

Just out of curiousity, can you point me to where you read bad things about the GC rears?
Old 06-11-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you want rear coilovers? Most guys who run track events are not to the point of running them yet. I guess I'm trying to ask "Are you just doing this for the coolness factor?" I'm not a fan of rear coilovers, the structure of the car was not designed to handle that load, in my opinion. The spring pockets are much heavier to support that load. Now, with that said, the LG kit seems to work very well and I know of no failures of that kit. But why are you wanting to work that hard or spend that much money to do what you could do "more than well enough and then some" with Koni's and springs?

Just wondering, not trying to give you a hard time.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am actually just wanting to do something a little different. I have always liked looking under an old muscle car and seeing the 4 link suspension with the coil overs. I also want the adjustablility of them. I am also thinking of doing a custom LCA so I can get rid of the TA. I need as much room as I can to do this.

When I get home tonight, if I remember I will post up some links. I just did a search for Ground Control on a lot of different boards and that is what I found.

Last edited by 2001SS#3013; 06-12-2004 at 02:06 AM.