Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing new shocks and springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new shocks and springs

Hi all, this is a quick question about installation of front shocks and springs. On a 1999 Camero z28

You guys know how the top of the strut tower has two bolts coming out and two holes so you can mount it inside the engine bay, and the bottom of the shock has two mounting holes to bolt to the lower A arm right?

When you assemble the strut tower, using the spring compressors and all, are you suppose to know how to position the top mount bolts with the mounting holes on the bottom of the shock so that it aligns perfectly back into the car before removing the spring compressors, or can this be adjusted somehow after removing the spring compressors?

I did this a long time ago and I had the original strut tower out of the car , I was installing new shocks and springs so I just did my best to align the the top mount bolts with the holes on the bottom of the shock comparing it to the original strut tower, now ..... all I'm doing is replacing the shock, so I don't have an assembled strut tower to reference to.

To put it more simple, once I assemble the tower , remove the spring compressors, and attempt to install it in the car, if the bolt holes of the shock on the bottom doesn't align with the top mount perfectly, can the shock somehow twist to align even with the spring not being compressed? Or will I have to compress the spring again to adjust it, if I do, what's everyone's method to get it aligned correctly the first time?

Last edited by excellegions; 05-19-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Added more
Old 05-19-2016, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've read you can muscle the bottom portion of the shock to line them up with the lower control arm bolt holes using a screw driver as a pry bar and twist it around.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh thank god! Ok so mount the top in the engine bay and go hulk on the bottom to align it to the LCA and it wont damage the shock or anything right? Im on it. Thanks!

I f*#^ing love this site lol
Old 05-19-2016, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Before disassembling the old coil over shock, mark where the spring coil ends at the top of the strut, that is on the seat itself, using chalk.

When transferring the spring and seat onto the new shock, line up the mark on the seat with the end of the coil of the spring. This should eliminate the vehicle sagging on a particular side. I believe this procedure is called "indexing the spring".

Quick Reply: Installing new shocks and springs