Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Foxbody ls swap for circuit / autox

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foxbody ls swap for circuit / autox

Hi, new guy here. I've never really been in the loop for foxbodies but I have a 87-93 body that I'm trying to build up for road racing and autocross. I have a lot of the build planned out (LQ4 powerplant, T56 trans, cortex suspension, etc...); however, I'm curious to see what company offers a good LS swap k member for the foxbody with road racing in mind (most previous forum posts appear to be for drag cars).

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-03-2016, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

WELCOME!!

Did you try Griggs??, since they are/were very big into the fox body turning left and right and braking world, vs. the drag race only orientation of most of their aftermarket.

I would also try UMI, and ask what (if anything) they have, and if not, what they suggest.

Also, IF you would have any choice in the matter, try and use an aluminum ALLOY block, since, unlike the drag race ONLY peeps on here who ONLY care about the block's ultimate strength for crazy boost levels, you want EVERY OUNCE of weight off of the nose of the car for autocross/road racing type use.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by dailydriver
WELCOME!!

Did you try Griggs??, since they are/were very big into the fox body turning left and right and braking world, vs. the drag race only orientation of most of their aftermarket.

I would also try UMI, and ask what (if anything) they have, and if not, what they suggest.

Also, IF you would have any choice in the matter, try and use an aluminum ALLOY block, since, unlike the drag race ONLY peeps on here who ONLY care about the block's ultimate strength for crazy boost levels, you want EVERY OUNCE of weight off of the nose of the car for autocross/road racing type use.
Thanks for the welcome! I probably should've stayed that I am on a rather tight budget. An aluminum block would be nice but not as cost efficient as the iron block ls. I've looked at Griggs before and their kits are a little on the high side
Old 07-03-2016, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I totally agree with the aluminum block statement, you will be saving around 90lbs of dead weight over the front end. You should be able to find a cheap ls1 or aluminum 5.3l at a junkyard. Don't focus on making a ton of power, cut weight from the car and add reliability to the engine.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The budget is certainly a limiting factor, however I would do everything within my power to make sure I was using an aluminum block in a road race car.

Quick Reply: Foxbody ls swap for circuit / autox