Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Does anyone run HydraTech/ hydraulic brake booster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Does anyone run HydraTech/ hydraulic brake booster?

Looking for users of hydraulic brake boosters for opinions and upsides/advantages or downsides/problems.

I've had this issue forever and have not ever had a satisfactory solution. When AutoCrossing, I can run up to redline and either lose brake vacuum assist completely, or, I get 1 stab at the brakes and then after that I don't have power assist until I let the revs fall down again. Sometimes that's not possible, depending on course, and of course I realize partly my driving style. I've attempted to alter my style a bit but it's hard. I have also tried an electric vacuum pump, which was OK on the street but seemed ineffective for AX. Also tried a vacuum reservoir. I currently have a custom check valve (at 1 or 1.5 psi crack pressure) which helps. But I still have this problem, I simply need more vacuum. I think my booster is OK and not leaking, on street it's always fine.

So I am considering a hydraulic unit, as I think it would not ever lose boost pressure (unless my PS pump fails, and that's a different problem). What are your thoughts on them?
Old 07-17-2016, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

While I still use the factory booster in my 02 SS I run a hydroboost unit in my 03 Lightning. I pieced my own setup together using an 02 F250 PSD unit and an assortment of other parts but there are many Lightning owners who run a HydroTech kit that have nothing but good things to say about it it's just more expensive than piece your own kit together.

I have only positive to say about hydroboost in my truck. Strong braking, no more grabbing then losing pressure under heavy braking, great for vehicles running a large cam/cams, easy and safe powersteering fluid changes, more room in under the hood.

The only real negative is deciding if you want to spend for it. It's not that expensive but the vacuum booster does the job I guess. If you do decide to go the hydroboost route I don't think that you would be disappointed. It's a fairly popular mod with the Gen2 Lightning community and I've not hear of anyone complaining that they weren't happy with the improvement that Hydroboost gave them.

BTW if you research it you can piece your own kit together. Your Duramax vehicles use a hydroboost unit as do Fords PSD and Mopars Cummins vehicles. The 96-04 V8 Mustangs used a smaller hydroboost unit so that the Modulars would fit under their hoods. I have heard of Fbody guys using junkyard units that they took out of Mustang. Pretty sure all the Hydroboost units are made by the company that invented the design years ago. Then you just need to come up with the proper setup for the lines you need to run. In my Lightning I took the line running from the pump to the steeringrack out and ran a 7.3 PSD line from the pump to the in line on hydrobooster, then used a 6.0 PSD return line to the steeringrack, and left the factory Lightning return line for the steeringrack to the pump. Then I bought some hydrolic hose and a brass T-fitting and spliced onto the line running from the powersteering reservoir to the pump to connect to the overflow valve.

GL with whatever you do.

Quick Reply: Does anyone run HydraTech/ hydraulic brake booster?