Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pulling to the right when braking

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulling to the right when braking

When braking the car pulls to the right. The pull is similar to an alignment pull the faster i go and harder i brake the harder the pull. I have also noticed when stopped on a hill and releasing the brake the R/F is the last brake to release its hard to explain but you can feel a slight delay in the release of that brake.

I have cleaned and lubed the slide pins on 2 different occasions. That seemed to help for 3-5 applications of the brake. This past Saturday I changed all 4 brake lines and did a brake flush. The issue is better, it doesn't pull as hard but the pull is still there.

I've searched and can't find any topics on this. I don't want to blindly throw parts at the car until I stumble on the issue. Any suggestions?

Vehicle info - 2000 Camaro SS 6 Speed - stock brake system - 81k miles.

Last edited by 2000blackSS; 02-20-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: vehicle info
Old 02-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Teching In

I'd inspect the suspension. Worn shocks, tie rods, or ball joints can make it do this.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

thanks.... never thought of that. I did plan on doing struts this spring. I'll check the tie rods and ball joints.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

You answered your own question, you have a RF caliper that is grabbing differently than the LF caliper thus making it pull when braking and why holding up after releasing your brakes. Possibly even dragging while moving.

Vehicle is 17 years old with 81k miles, it may be time to rebuild or replace that caliper or even an upgrade to a higher quality brake set up.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
You answered your own question, you have a RF caliper that is grabbing differently than the LF caliper thus making it pull when braking and why holding up after releasing your brakes. Possibly even dragging while moving.

Vehicle is 17 years old with 81k miles, it may be time to rebuild or replace that caliper or even an upgrade to a higher quality brake set up.
I understand that it is highly likely the issue resides in the R/F caliper. I was asking the question to see if anyone else has dealt with this issue and found the cause to be something uncommon or not related to the caliper. Best i can tell its functioning when i try to diagnose it and i fixed the cheap common things such as slide pins and brake lines.

Quick Reply: Pulling to the right when braking