Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 08:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting springs

ive heard of people cutting their springs to lower their car instead of spending money for new ones....i have a good idea how to do it, but i'm just checking to see if anyone has done it before and if they would recommend it over lowering springs...thanks in advance

zach
Old 07-27-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search...

Here is a post that is currently a few threads down: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/197451-got-stance.html
Old 07-28-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks ferocity. Yes that is my car in the other thread. I recommend it if you do not have the money for special springs. If you can sink $250 into performance springs then go that route. I do not think that any current spring manufacturer (maybe Hypercoil) will give you the stance of my car. I like the fact that the rear is not too low. I like the nose down rake of my car.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Launching!

You car would handle & ride better with lowering springs, so I doubt anyone would recommend that you cut your springs as a superior option to aftermarket springs. Obviously it can be done, and people have done it, but the only advantage is it's FREE
Old 07-29-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by John95Z28
You car would handle & ride better with lowering springs, so I doubt anyone would recommend that you cut your springs as a superior option to aftermarket springs. Obviously it can be done, and people have done it, but the only advantage is it's FREE
...and the handling is quite improved.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

I always thought it made your car bounce! NO?
Old 07-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've cut both stock springs and 1LE springs with good results. The only reason I can think of to buy aftermarket springs is to get some extra stiff spings (high spring rate.) But even cutting them makes them stiffer as well; e.g. removing one coil from a 10 coil spring increases it by 10%. Most lowering springs are pretty soft though because more people lower their cars for looks than performance. So bottom line is, you might as well just cut the springs unless you are building a race car and need ultra stiff springs.

Any time you make the springs stiffer, the car can get "ghetto bounce" unless you match the stiffer springs with stiffer shocks. Some lowering springs are dual rate and ultra soft to minimize bounce. The problem with that is the car is going to bottom out the suspension frequently on bumps.

The best solution is to get adjustable coil-overs with heavy duty shocks like Koni's and/or Bilsteins. Then you can order standard coil-over springs of any spring rate you want. I've been getting by quite well on the street with cut 1LE springs and Koni's, but now that I autox I'm looking at coil-overs to get a stiffer spring rate.

Quick Reply: Cutting springs