Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is the Bump Stop Required?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is the Bump Stop Required?

I am looking to lower my car in a couple days, and just put on some 18" Z06 bling bling. The bump stop and bracket at close to the wheel. I am afraid a large bump will make the two hit. Is it safe to remove the bump stop and cut off the bracket that it's on? Thanks.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ttt
Old 07-31-2004, 12:46 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No you can't remove it unless you replace it with some other kind of bump stop, but you can grind quite a bit off from it so the wheels don't hit it. I did this along with using IROC-Z wheel spacers to solve the problem. Or you can get special bump stops that go on the shocks, that way you can completely remove the stock bumpstops. I haven't done this, but if you page trackbird he will tell you all about it.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cal
No you can't remove it unless you replace it with some other kind of bump stop, but you can grind quite a bit off from it so the wheels don't hit it. I did this along with using IROC-Z wheel spacers to solve the problem. Or you can get special bump stops that go on the shocks, that way you can completely remove the stock bumpstops. I haven't done this, but if you page trackbird he will tell you all about it.
When you say grind it down, do you mean the part that will hit the axle, or the side of it that faces the wheel? I don't see why they are needed. There is no way the axle will hit it... the tire will hit the fender or wheel well first.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Grind the side off so it doesn't rub on the wheel. The axle can hit the bumpstop first unless you have very huge tires. I have 295/35's and my axle spends quite a bit of time on the bumpstops. You can see where it has polished a shiny place on top of the axle.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cal

I can just tell when you guys are talking about me.....

The part number for that bumpstop is: Koni# 70.34.53.000.0 (55mm, tapered, progressive).
Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

To update this post. I eventually damaged my Koni DA's by running this bumpstop. It was too short to protect the shock from bottoming out and damaging the adjuster and piston. So, before anyone with DA's runs off to try this, make sure you measure carefully or stick to the stock stops. Just my experience.

Quick Reply: Is the Bump Stop Required?