Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just Finished Shock/Spring/PHR Install...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just Finished Shock/Spring/PHR Install...

Wow, I was expecting it to take a long time after doing my bro's Cobra a year or so ago, but it was pretty easy. I used LS1HowTo to do it, it was fairly accurate. The front came apart pretty easily. I used a tie-rod seperator to get the spindle off the upper a-arm. The worst part was getting the Hotchkis springs on the Bilstein shocks. The shitty Autozone compressor was tough to use. I had to "thread" the hooks down to the bottom of the spring, them hammer them out when I got them on the shocks. The nuts on the top of the shocks werent rusted that bad. One had a little bit of rust, but the WD-40 and impact wrench took care of that. The other had no rust what so ever. The brake booster did have to be removed. I unbolted that and the ABS box thing so I could move the two and access the bolts.

The back was even easier!!! Took me about 30 minutes to do the back. The hardest part was cutting the carpet and peeling it back enough. The shocks came right out without a sweat. The springs however needed to by pried out, they didn't just fall out like JMX said they would. The Hotchkis ones were shorter so they went in with a little bit of compressing.

The I went with the BadZ PHR. It was super cake to install. Unfortunatly, the bolt had to be ground down so the spacers for the rod ends would fit over it. Other than that it looks awesome and looks easy to adjust.

I lowered the car off the jacks and left it in the garage to settle a little bit and I will take it for a spin in the morning. The rear doesnt look to be low enough unfortunatly, hopefully it will settle a little bit with time. I will take some pics later. Thanks for reading!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
The I went with the BadZ PHR. It was super cake to install. Unfortunatly, the bolt had to be ground down so the spacers for the rod ends would fit over it. Other than that it looks awesome and looks easy to adjust.

I'd get the correct spacers and replace that bolt. It is not a good idea to grind on that bolt. It opens it up for slop on one side and the grinding marks are a good place for stress cracks to start. I'd contact the manufacturer about getting the right spacer. Then, I'd replace that bolt. I'd hate to see you have a failure (that could be bad).

My thoughts.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
I'd get the correct spacers and replace that bolt. It is not a good idea to grind on that bolt. It opens it up for slop on one side and the grinding marks are a good place for stress cracks to start. I'd contact the manufacturer about getting the right spacer. Then, I'd replace that bolt. I'd hate to see you have a failure (that could be bad).

My thoughts.
Thanks, I may do that. But I didnt grind the bolt that much at all, maybe 1/100" at the most. The spacer was just a real tight fit, and needed a wee bit of grinding to get it on all the way. The part of the bolt that sits in the hole I did not grind, so there is no slop there. I already PM'ed BadZ.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh. That's odd. I'd have probably reamed or drilled the spacer just slightly. I'd still consider swapping the bolt and "fixing" the spacer. But, that is just my opinion.

Glad to hear that you got it all together.

Quick Reply: Just Finished Shock/Spring/PHR Install...