Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Baer GT+ Calipers Will Not Clear TTII Wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Baer GT+ Calipers Will Not Clear TTII Wheels!

Just as a 'heads up' to any of you out there - I just purchased the Baer GT+ brake system with the 2-piece Eradispeed rotors and the PBR 2-piston calipers. I was told by tech at Baer that they fit 17" TTII wheels with no problem - NOT SO

Everything went fine on the install until it came time to bolt up the wheels - I had tried the wheel on the hub previously (but with no lug nuts) and it spun freely with no binding. Well, once I got all the lugs torqued the wheel was SOLID to the calipers.

Right behind the spokes on the wheel there is the thicker structural part of the rim - the cast fins on the caliper were tight up against this area of the wheel. Ends up I had to grind off all the fins from the front of the caliper back about 2 inches to get them to clear (and then touch up the fins with paint). Luckily the caliper tucks in behind the rim so you can't tell when the wheel is on.

Just really pisses me off when I had to grind on $1200 powdercoated calipers after being told directly from Baer that there would be no interference.

-Jay-
Old 08-09-2004, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch! I know you already had it installed and it takes time to take off, but should of just sent it back and made them make it right or refund your money. But I do know how it is when something is installed and you want to car on the road. Sorry to hear about that. At least give them a call and let them know of this, they might do something to help you out.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Ryan-

On the other hand, the Adj PR I just bought from you fit perfectly and the instructions that came with it were more than explicit (even though it was for a simple thing like a PR). Too bad their instructions weren't as detailed for a much more complicated install.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Ryan-

On the other hand, the Adj PR I just bought from you fit perfectly and the instructions that came with it were more than explicit (even though it was for a simple thing like a PR). Too bad their instructions weren't as detailed for a much more complicated install.
Hello Jay,

Well that is great to hear, I am sad to say that I myself and my company do/have and will make mistakes as well. However we do what we can to prevent this and would take care of it if there was a matter. I am glad you liked everything, I wish I would have had my Tq arm completed so you werent having problems with yours

Regards,
Ryan
Old 08-12-2004, 11:04 AM
10 Second Club

Sorry to hear about that. I know how you feel. I had the same problem with my Wilwood brakes and BC Smoothie II's. It hurts grinding them babies down!
Old 08-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to grind the fins completely off my stock brakes to get a set of 16x10 CCW's to fit. If your brakes are getting hot, you would need to duct air on to them anyway, with or without the fins.

Quick Reply: Baer GT+ Calipers Will Not Clear TTII Wheels!