Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

car prep for texas world speedway

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car prep for texas world speedway

For my birthday my girlfriend bought me some driving (track) driving lessons at the texas speedway here in bryan tx, sence im about to get sent to IRAQ. It lasts two days and on the first day i will be using their mazda miata's, but on the secound day im using my camaro. What ecintial (misspelled) things need to be done to make sure i dont mess up my car. I will hopefully not go crazy at the track with my car(daily driver). Also what tire pressure should I use? Thanks.
Mods so far.
2002 camaro z28 (40,000miles)
oil OW-30 castrol full syn (german) 2,000 miles sence last change
becool alum radiator (160stat)
z06cam, springs
ppc headers and rt cats
full intake
asp pulley kit
magnaflow
fasttoys ramair
MTI Tune (384 wrhp) revlimiter raised to 6500.

adj panhard bar
adj lower control arms
Irotors drilled sloted (ebc greenstuff pads)
torqu thrust II's 17-11, 17-9.5
goodyear GS-d3's all around (some okay tread left)
Old 08-11-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run my TA at TWS numerous times. You will definitely have a blast.

If you really like those rotors, I suggest you go to NAPA or Autozone and buy a set of el cheapo rotors for the front. T1, T10 and T13 will be the test of your brakes.

Definitely flush the brake system. If it's just a one time deal, Valvoline SynPower will be just fine. Anything more than that will require continued maintenance.

Definitely change your oil. And if the weather is gonna be hot (90+ degrees), I would suggest moving to M1 5W40 SUV oil. I also suggest you run AT LEAST 6 qts. I run 7 ...

I would start the tires out at 32 in the front and 30 in the rear. Check pressures immediately after coming off track. You are shooting for ~36 psi hot.

You will puke power steering fluid out of the cap. Take some extra fluid with you, along with motor oil.

Take FULL advantage of the cool down lap. Use no brakes and change no gears. Keep the RPM around 23-2500. Your motor, tires and brakes will thank you.

IMMEDIATELY thoroughly clean your wheels and car. Brake dust will kill the paint. A nice coat of wax will help protect the finish.

TWS is a horsepower track. But there is no need to take the car to max RPM.

I come off of the banking in 5th, go down to 4th through T1 and T2.

I brake for T3 and go down to 3

I stay in 3rd through T4, T5 and T6.

I shift to 4th on the back straight and carry 4th through T7. Don't lose concentration here. It's the funnest turn on the course and it can bite your ***.

I go down to 3rd for T8 and carry 3rd through T9, T10, T11, T12 and T13.

I go to 4th at the transition to the front straight and hit 5th about the S/F line.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Have fun!

And thanks for the work you are about to do for all of us.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man thanks for the great info! Should i change my brake pads to something with more bite, and if so can i just change the front pads our will the ebc greenstuff work fine for that one day? Also, will cheep rotors warp real easy? Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TWS is not terrible on brakes or tire wear. There is a lot of open track for components to cool. I don't know anything about EBC pads so I can't make that call.

Being as it's your first weekend and you shouldn't be anywhere NEAR the edge (on purpose), the pads should be OK ... but you know more about the pads than I do.

The rotors will most likely crack, instead of warp.

Keeping the motor cool is another story. You are WOT in 4th and 5th gear for a LONG time on the front straight.

Quick Reply: car prep for texas world speedway