Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Pads, Rotors, Pads, Fluid, & Lines, is this a good setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pads, Rotors, Pads, Fluid, & Lines, is this a good setup?

Brembo blanks front & rear Rotors
HPS Hawk Pads front & rear
ATE super blue or typ 200 fluid
G-Stop Brakeline kit for an ASR car.

With the other thread posting the sale on slotted/crossdrilled rotors I'm tempted to get them. The price is the same and they're zinc caoted. I don't care about the slots & holes looking "cool", but I do like that they're zinc coated so you don't see the rusty parts on the rotors. I heard the Brembo's were some of the best cheaper blanks though so I might just end up getting the original plan of parts & painting the areas that will eventually rust.

It's a daily driver so I'm also not sure if I need the SS lines? Also can I do all the work, aka the bleeding, if I do it all myself? I'm not worried about any of the mechanical install being a problem, just the bleeding of the brakes since I have ASR, and I heard it was pretty hard to do if you got air in the system.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like a good setup, and you should be able to do all the work yourself. It would help to have a second person to pump the brake pedal while you're bleeding the brakes.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Between the factory shop manual and http://www.installuniversity.com a buddy and I had no problem doing all that on my car (save for the brake lines). And that was the first time either one of us had done brake work.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I do the brake lines won't that let the system free bleed pretty quickly? If I wasn't doing the lines I wouldn't be worried, but they have me worried since I know if you get air in the ABS block your pretty much screwed and might as well take it to someone to proffesionally bleed it.

Oh and will it matter if I go with the rotors on sale right now or the Brembos?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not as if the fluid will drain like from a garden hose.

Before you breach the system, test fit the lines, have the right tools handy and don't waste time. Do one corner at a time.

Spend an extra $2 for some cheap brake fluid to keep the master cylinder full. Then do the full flush afterwards.

Do yourself a favor and go find copper crush washers to seal the banjo fittings. Don't use the aluminum seals sent with most brake line kits. I've always had trouble getting them to seal.

Quick Reply: Pads, Rotors, Pads, Fluid, & Lines, is this a good setup?