Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I'm stumped on this one (rear suspension geometry)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question I'm stumped on this one (rear suspension geometry)

I'm at a complete loss on this sittuation so let me give you some background on my set up first. I have a Moser 12-bolt, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, BMR LCA's(non-adjustable),BMR adjustable panhard, Spohn TA, BMR weld-in subframes, and a stock rear sway. I went to measure the rear pinion angle and this is where my problem is. when looking at the angle finder from the drivers side it shows 0* but from the passenger side it reads -3*. I measured the angle from the bottom of the TA mount and from the pinion to see if one was off. both sides read the same from both locations of measure but has differnt reading than the opposite side on the same spot. I should also mention the car is on the ground and is level and tire pressure is equal in all 4 corners. I got to measuring a few other things just to see if i can locate where the problem is. when you look from the drivers side the LCA's read 9* of downward angle. when measured from the passenger side it reads 7* of downward angle, measured on the same spot for both sides. Passenger side LCA relocation bracket is 5-1/4" above ground where the drivers side is 5-5/16" above ground. The subframes on both sides read the same no matter where read from.
Sorry for the long post but if anyone can give some insite why they think it reads different numbers from opposite sides on the same spot i would appreciate it.

JR
Old 08-22-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like your gauge is out of calibration. If you set it on the kitchen table, do both sides read the same or is there a 2 degree split? I'm guessing you'll find a split.

My thoughts.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm thinking your correct. i just put it on a few different surfaces and there is anywhere from a 1-2* difference. I also put it in a square and it seems to be a slight bit off from perfectly square. i guess i'll look into a new/better gauge. the one I got is the free one from Spohn. Does anyone have any ideas on a good gauge?

JR
Old 08-22-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sears sells one for about $9.99 as I remember. And, I think it is magnetic.

Quick Reply: I'm stumped on this one (rear suspension geometry)