Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LS1 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Brakes

At 15,000 miles, I just had my front brake rotors ground which my dealer grudgingly covered under warrarty but I had to pay for new pads. They said I must have been hot rodding. I'll drive these for a few months but want to get new brakes but don't want to have to buy new wheels. What's out there?
Old 08-26-2004, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just change to the brembo oem rotors. That will fix the warp that was standard from the factory. You really don't need to upgrade the brakes, just change the rotors. A better set of pads will go a long way as well (Hawk HPS work well, or Carbotech has some good street compounds).
Old 08-26-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Check out the sponsors to the right, they usually offer discounts and if you check out group purchases there is usually a sale.

I have had the Powerslot rotors and currently have Irotor rotors, both are slotted and both through sponsors. These rotors have not warped or had any problems since I installed them and the price is not bad.

For pads I like the Hawke pads since they have a nice grab and do not cost too much.

Hope this helps a bit...
Old 08-26-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default dealer

Originally Posted by Silver02
At 15,000 miles, I just had my front brake rotors ground which my dealer grudgingly covered under warrarty but I had to pay for new pads. They said I must have been hot rodding. I'll drive these for a few months but want to get new brakes but don't want to have to buy new wheels. What's out there?
At least you got them to do it once. They refused to do it under warranty on my last 1998 TA, so I pulled them and did it myself! And you likely didn't need new pads at 15,000, they just sold you them to make you buy something. I pulled and turned my stock rotors twice in 60,000 miles, and the pads were just fine!!

I just bought another 98 TA, it has 85,000 - with new rotors up front 20,000 miles ago. But, I'm going to drilled and slotted rotors, with better pads - already ordered, just waiting for them to come in.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are baer, brembo, or power slot better? Also, can I get bigger brakes rotors/calipers without having to buy new wheel?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver02
Are baer, brembo, or power slot better? Also, can I get bigger brakes rotors/calipers without having to buy new wheel?
Not really and you need 17" wheels for most upgrades.