Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can't get the caliper back on

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get the caliper back on

Need some help with getting the caliper over the rotor/pads. They came off fine but do not want to go back on, when I took them off I had the emergency brake set if that matters. Is there a way to expand the cups inside the caliper? I have a 98 Camaro. All comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have to compress the piston back into its seat...The easiest way to do this is to:
1. Take the brake resivior cap off
2. Find a metal plate that will stretch across the two pistons on the inside of the caliper
3. Get a clamp, then start clamping the plate which is over the pistons till the pistons are seated...This should give u enough clearance to slip the caliper back over...

Hope this helps...

Kevin
Old 09-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro01SS4life
You have to compress the piston back into its seat...The easiest way to do this is to:
1. Take the brake resivior cap off
2. Find a metal plate that will stretch across the two pistons on the inside of the caliper
3. Get a clamp, then start clamping the plate which is over the pistons till the pistons are seated...This should give u enough clearance to slip the caliper back over...
Just to add to it....
2. ...the old brake pad is good for this
3. ... just to clarify... big metal C-Clamp
Old 09-16-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

hmmm, take the resevoir cap off.....Brake fluid should come out if I were to do this correct?

Could I do this without removing the resevoir cap, I was always under the impression that you just push the piston back with the c-clamp and either a piece of wood or old pad
Old 09-17-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just remember if you do remove the master cylinder cap have a rag of something over it, brake fluid WILL spray out of the master cylinder and all over your paint and everything else, GO VERY SLOW!!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
hmmm, take the resevoir cap off.....Brake fluid should come out if I were to do this correct?

Could I do this without removing the resevoir cap, I was always under the impression that you just push the piston back with the c-clamp and either a piece of wood or old pad
Yes, you'll have to remove the cap when you compress the pistons. Just take a shop rag (as noted above) and lay it over/around the master while its open. C-clamp + wood or C-clamp + old pad works well to compress.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SamB
Need some help with getting the caliper over the rotor/pads. They came off fine but do not want to go back on, when I took them off I had the emergency brake set if that matters. Is there a way to expand the cups inside the caliper? I have a 98 Camaro. All comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
Thanks for the help, job completed.

Quick Reply: Can't get the caliper back on