Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best sway bar combo for Track Days/Road Racing??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Best sway bar combo for Track Days/Road Racing??

Well, its that time to start geting this vert to handle better at Road Atlanta. But after going to the various web sites and searching them dry, I still don't know what combo/brand to purchase for the front and rear sway bars. Size is the biggest ? mark. I don't Auto Cross and don't want to, just Road course situations. So can you guys give some feedback? I alreay have SLP level one suspension Bilstein shocks, Eiboch springs, STB, and KBDD SFC's. My car from my pictures at track days at road atlanta are showing the car leaning pretty good.

Brakes are getting upgraded to C5 brakes, so that area is handled. Also the power end is close with my heads and cam. Tires will come after the suspension is complete.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.frrax.com will answer a lot of your questions.
A lot of people are starting to get the hotchkis(sp) sway bars and I dont think the C5 upgrade is worth it. Try better brake pads, and bleed the brakes along with upgraded rotors. If your just itching to get bigger brakes, try the stoptech kit.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

You'll prolly see a lot of guys that will recommend a 35mm bar up front and between a 19-22mm bar in the back. I personally don't road race my car (it is my daily driver), and I run a 35mm bar up front and a 25mm bar in the back (both Suspension Techniques). I would definitely not recommend the 25mm bar in the back for road racing duties...even being as inexperienced as I am in the automotive world, even I can tell it is too much rear bar for carving corners (it causes a fair amount of oversteer), but damn is it fun to drive around town. The car does exactly what I want, and I can pretty easily steer my car with the gas pedal. Tire wear on the other hand...that'll definitely be much worse.

Steve
Old 09-26-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive run my '00 convertible with ST 35mm front and GM 19mm/22mm in back. Most of my track days were at Willow Springs big course and a couple at California Speedway.

Our verts are heavier out back compared to a coupe so you can get away with a little bigger bar. It really depends on the speed of the track and your confidence to drift the rear out. I started with a 19 bar and had enough under steer that I never got in trouble. Went to a 22 bar after some experience and dropped 5 seconds instantly at WSIR. I've never been to road atlanta, but it looks like a 22 bar.

If I were buying now, I'd look into the hollow bars by hotchkins and strano to save a little weight.

I've got 1le front springs, stock soft rear springs, and 315 rubber in all corners. Make sure you get a race alignment up front.

I went to C5 brakes and they stopped boiling. I dont have as much HP as you, but I was happy with the results. This was with Nitto street tires.

ps, if you are interested in a wolfe roll bar let me know.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stang killer
www.frrax.com will answer a lot of your questions.
A lot of people are starting to get the hotchkis(sp) sway bars and I dont think the C5 upgrade is worth it. Try better brake pads, and bleed the brakes along with upgraded rotors. If your just itching to get bigger brakes, try the stoptech kit.
Been there already. Alot of good info. Definetly on my favorites list now.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Ive run my '00 convertible with ST 35mm front and GM 19mm/22mm in back. Most of my track days were at Willow Springs big course and a couple at California Speedway.

Our verts are heavier out back compared to a coupe so you can get away with a little bigger bar. It really depends on the speed of the track and your confidence to drift the rear out. I started with a 19 bar and had enough under steer that I never got in trouble. Went to a 22 bar after some experience and dropped 5 seconds instantly at WSIR. I've never been to road atlanta, but it looks like a 22 bar.

If I were buying now, I'd look into the hollow bars by hotchkins and strano to save a little weight.

I've got 1le front springs, stock soft rear springs, and 315 rubber in all corners. Make sure you get a race alignment up front.

I went to C5 brakes and they stopped boiling. I dont have as much HP as you, but I was happy with the results. This was with Nitto street tires.

ps, if you are interested in a wolfe roll bar let me know.
Thanks for the info. That really helps on what size is the best for the rear. 35/22 hollow sounds like the direction i'll be heading.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

No question in my mind ...

ST 35 up front and the '93 1LE out back

Quick Reply: Best sway bar combo for Track Days/Road Racing??