Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

noob need help! (98 z28 to handle on road corse)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default noob need help! (98 z28 to handle on road corse)

i want to go and road corse with my father, but i hear the handling on the 98 z28 (my baby) isnt very good or isnt as good, and there are some parts to switch out to make it better, wht are these parts? any info will help me, i want to be able to get to as close to the handling my father dose (01 zo6) but i know i cant get that close but i want to try and do my best, so plz help, Thanks

Ryan
Old 11-10-2004, 12:29 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Ryan you probably don'y want to hear this.
Save ypur money and learn your car and how it drives along with yourself on road courses, maybe even a driving or two under the belt. You can have mega dollar suspension setup but if all you have is a buck 25 driving skill, you will be more of a danger and a nuisance. Once done than mod. Warnining Hotlaps on a roadcourse can be addictive.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

roy has been doing kind of thing in an F-body for years. His advice is sound.

To add to what he said, I suggest you get a good performance alignment. Assuming stock front suspension, max negative camber with max positve caster and zero toe.

Get some seat time ... assess what it will take to make the car a better handler with YOU (not me or roy or trackbird or Cal) behind the wheel and address the problems one at a time. Wholesale changes all at once rarely fix anything ...

A stock Z06 is a formidable foe, but you can hang with one, given the right set of circumstances.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, as an example, I found that modifying my car's suspension gained 1 to 2 seconds on a 60 second autoX course. Going from street tires to race tires bought me 3 seconds. But recruiting the help of some experianced drivers to ride with me and help with my driving technique made me 6 seconds faster, on the same 60 second course!
Old 11-10-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yup. Spend money on an alignment and seat time. It's amazing how fast these cars are stock. You might consider a slightly better brake pad (Hawk HP+ or similar). Otherwise, I'd just drive it for now. You'll still have tons of fun. And, anything you do to raise the limits of the car (more grip) can also make it a much finer edge between stuck and "off". The car is somewhat forgiving as it sits, upgrades can make it much more of a handfull if you get in trouble. Go, have fun and report back when you return. Car setup is a highly personal choice. You may hate my car, I may not like Mitch's, and Cal may like them all (or not). So, my setup may not work for you. Once you run the first event or two, then we can help you change the things you think need work.

Have fun!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

thnks for all the info guys i will keep practicing and save up the bucks
Old 11-11-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Then, we'll gladly try to help you fix the things you don't like about the car.