Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed Baer EradiSpeed Rotors, Hawk Pads and Earls Lines...My $0.02

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 04:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Smile Installed Baer EradiSpeed Rotors, Hawk Pads and Earls Lines...My $0.02

I've seen many a question on these products, and I just finished installing them last week, so I figured I'd pass on my "experience"

Baer Eradispeed Rotors and Hawk Pads:

Not much t say on the install. These parts are direct replacement for the stock pads and rotors. I had access to a lift (which was of great help) and had the pads and rotors swapped out on all four corners in under 2 hours. Compared to the LT1, the LS1 brake design is smart. The pads are independent of the calipers. This makes changing the pads EASY The rotrs are the same as on any other car with disc brakes.

Earls Brake Lines: Earl needs to give better instructions than the one-page crap that constitutes installation directions. The directions say to take the car to a certified brake mechanic. Basically, no directions are given, just a CYA notice! Anyhow, it was a MESSY job, but straightforward. Removing the old lines sucks. I used a 12mm open-ended wrench and a 16mm open-ended wrench to remove the soft lines from the hard lines. There is also a VERY stubborn retaining clip on each soft line that needs to be removed. The Earls brake lines replace this clip with a threaded nut. Much better design, but I was left wondering how exactly to install this for a while due to the aforementioned lack of directions. I finally figured it out and had no problems. The Earls brakeline hardware also used diferent sized connecting nuts. Instead of a 12mm and 16mm attachment, now I had a 12mm and 18mm attachment with a 20mm tightening nut. That made for a lot of wrenches! I also noticed that the Earls Hyperfirm lines are not as flexible as the stock rubber. This makes installation a bit tougher....as the lines DO need to flex. Total install time for this was another 3 hours.

Bleeding the brakes: Man-o-day.....if the average reader saw the condition of the brake fluid coming from my lines, they'd flush the brake system at least once a year! It was a black/ greeninsh color. I only had 16K miles on the car too! Anyhow, two pints of fluid solved that problem.

The verdict: As I changed everything at once, it's hard to tell what part gave the best gain, but overall I'm super happy. There is absolutely NO pedal mush at all. The Hyperfirm lines do indeed make for a firm pedal. No squeaks or brake dust from the pads. The cross drilled rotors look sweet under my ZO6 rims and not a hint of rust after sitting undriven for 5 days in Hawaii (which is akin to a rainforest this time of year). The car will give me whiplash with anything more than a light touch on the brakes. They are WAY better than stock

Anyhow, just my $0.02. I'd recommend this setup for anyone getting ready to do a brake job on their car. I got everything from one of the sponsors on this site for under $750 before shipping.

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 04-12-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the write-up, it's good to hear that your braking did improve....

maybe chime in again after a few thousand miles and see if anything has changed?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What pads did you get, blues, HP+, HPS?
Did you bed them in after letting the zinc wear off?

Or did they stop really well as soon as you put them on?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonWW
What pads did you get, blues, HP+, HPS?
Did you bed them in after letting the zinc wear off?

Or did they stop really well as soon as you put them on?
I have the Hawk HPS pads. I have not bedded the pads yet. Baer's directions are to drive the car normally for 500 miles to season the rotors, and then bed the pads. I've only put 100 miles on the car since installing them.

The zinc has not worn off any part of th rotors yet (though it will on the actual brakng surface of the rotor).

The improved braking was apparent as soon as I finished installing everything

Schantin
2002Camaro Z28 M6
Old 04-13-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does your car have traction control??? if so did you use all 6 lines? or did you just do the corners?

Quick Reply: Installed Baer EradiSpeed Rotors, Hawk Pads and Earls Lines...My $0.02