Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are Bilstein HD's right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Bilstein HD's right for me?

Ok, so my car is a 97 Formy. My stock DeCarbons are crap [you already knew that] and are giving a harsh ride [then again, ohio roads aren't the greatest either]. I'm looking for a new set of shocks to give a better ride, especially over bumps and patched potholes, and better handling. I do not auto-x the car, but spirited drives around the country side aren't out of the question. My car is mostly a daily driver so comfort is needed. And one more thing, where's the best place to order a set of four?

P.S. My car is not lowered, and WILL NOT be lowered in the future [getting LT's later, and ohio roads suck anyway].
Old 08-06-2005, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

I think that HDs are matched for stock springs. I use them with my Hotchkis springs and the ride quality is great. I don't think you will be dissapointed with them. I bought mine from Thunder Racing.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will be happy with them.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Launching!

If you have a thick wallet, you might want Koni SA's

But if you're a financially strapped college student like me, the HD's will give you the best bang for your buck
Old 08-08-2005, 04:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

From what I see here, I think you'd be quite happy with HD's. But if you are interested in what changes you'd see from a set of Koni's (or a set of whatever else), feel free to call me.

HD's are meant for stock springs, and to do most things pretty well. They would have been a great choice for GM to use OEM (with Bilstein valving, NOT Delco-Bilstein's like the trucks). They are what I feel should have been on the car. Note that doesn't mean on every car, but for most folks on stock rate springs the HD's would have suited the mission of the car well....... Can you do better? Sure. Do you need it? Seems not but can be discussed.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Are Bilstein HD's right for me?