Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

power steering nightmare continues :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering nightmare continues:(......

i have had my car now for about 1 month and this will be the 4th, yes 4th time im bringing it in to fix the power steering pump. 1st time i brought it in the guy had to replace the rack and pinion and the power steering pump (got a rebuilt one from bennett auto supplies). Then a few days later the pump was leaking. so i brought it back again. He said it was the seal. Then it started leaking again for the 3rd time, i said screw that guy! i brought it to another shop. They said the box that holds the fluid was cracked, so they replaced that. Now just last i hear like a fluttering/maybe belt type noise from under the hood only when i give it gas mainly above 1500rpms. I open the hood and give it some throttle and hear this horrible noise comming from what seems to be around the power steering pump almost in the intake, im getting scared then today i bring it back to the shop and the said it was the power steering pump bearing was shot! Im skeptical. has anyone ever had anything like this happen. This noise doesnt sound good at all. The cars performance feels just fine. But why is my power steering giving me so much trouble what could be causing this? any ideas? This is the 4th time in 4 weeks its in the shop. could it be i got a defective pump? and does the power steering make a fluttering type noise when the bearing is shot? I feel sick
Old 08-09-2005, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Default nooooooooooooooo

ok well last week i got my power steering fixed again 4th time they said it was the bearing so i brought my rebuilt pump back to bennett auto supplies and the gave me another rebuilt pump they guys at the shop fixed it and then all was good TIL TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that same damn noise is back and this is another pump. What the f*ck if i bring the car to the shop this will be the 5th time in 5 weeks (yes once a week) since i bought the car. and this is the 2nd mechanic i had do this. What is going on? sounds like something metal is in my power steering and i can only hear it above 1500 rpms and it is louder as the rpms go up. why would this happen again? please someone with any ideas? i really appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

I made a coppy of this thread and pasted it in the general maint & repair section. Hopefully someone can help.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's a deep growling, your pump is definitely going out. Mine lunched on me so I replaced it with a Turn One pump and I haven't had issues since. These pumps don't handle continual high rpms very well so that may very well be something you want to look into. I autoX so I got the Turn One pump which has been modified to handle the high rpm's of racing continually.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you just got a dud pump when you replaced it. It happens....
Old 08-10-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pimpmaro
If it's a deep growling, your pump is definitely going out. Mine lunched on me so I replaced it with a Turn One pump and I haven't had issues since. These pumps don't handle continual high rpms very well so that may very well be something you want to look into. I autoX so I got the Turn One pump which has been modified to handle the high rpm's of racing continually.
Did you go with -AN lines, or stock?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

An lines on the high pressure side. I haven't had the itch to try and do it on the low pressure side.

It was kinda a comedy of errors... just don't ask Trackbird about his garage floor... and driveway... and the alleyway... and my garage floor...