Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What to make my LCA's out of

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to make my LCA's out of

I'm going to make my own LCA's and PHB out of order-to-length threaded radius rod and some QA1 ends. But I don't know if I want to make them out of Aluminum Hex or round steel with wrench flats.

On the one hand... the LCA's are not long- so I think aluminum would be ok.. but then again... since they're short, steel would hardly be heavier.

The PHB is kinda long... but it doesnt seem like it would endure the kind of stretch shock of bridge gaps that LCA's would. So I dont know.

Maybe steel LCA's and Aluminum PHB?

Pricing is roughly the same...
Old 12-15-2005, 04:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PHB and the LCAs are quite easy to procure and make.

It's the spacers that will cause you to pull your hair out.

Good luck
Old 12-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I machine the spacers out of 6061 aluminum for my friends at a very reasonable price. PM me if you need some.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Here's some more information about getting the parts and assembling them:

Coleman Racing has the 16" tubular aluminum LCA's, and you can order the QA1 rod ends from Racer's Parts Wholesale. This link may help:
http://www.crystalridge.net/cars/images/LCA/lca.htm

Same thing applies to the panhard bar:
http://www.crystalridge.net/cars/images/PHR/phr.htm
Old 12-15-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

So Cal, You suggest aluminum over steel then..?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

For any type of racing or performance work, lighter is better (except Land Speed Racing.) So if the same job can be done with aluminum, that is what I use. The factory used steel in some places because of it's strength, but in others because it is cheaper. PHB and LCA's are an example of where you can save a little weight buy paying a little more money. I would not consider using aluminum rod ends though, because that is a high wear area. The 3/4" QA1 rod ends are overkill for strength, but they last a long time withoug getting the irritating slop that makes LCA's clunk.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I dont mind paying the extra 2 bucks for the aluminum tubing, plus, its great bragging rights "hey, my phb and lca's put together weigh less than one of yours"

And I def will not skimp on the ends. No point replacing 15 dollar ends every month when 30 dollar ends will last years
Old 12-15-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

i have heard bad things about aluminum PHBs in road racing. the PHB takes a lot of stress in corners, and sometimes flexes, which is bad
Old 12-16-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

You're right, that's a heated debate amongst some of the prominent F-body RR and AXer's, however I think the original author of the page that Cal linked to actually mentions their strength, which is exceptionally good. Nevertheless, there are and have been documented cases where the Al PHB's have warped, so I would suggest if the need and/or concern is overhwhelming, either opt for a stronger alloy, or opt for a double adjustible Chromoly bar.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
i have heard bad things about aluminum PHBs in road racing. the PHB takes a lot of stress in corners, and sometimes flexes, which is bad
I thought that was happening to me when I went to 13 inch road race slicks, but I could never verify it, or find anyone else with the same problem. I ended up welding a reinforcement rib to it and putting it back on. I doubt anyone could ever generate enough lateral force with street tires to deflect the aluminum PHR.

One nice thing about the aluminum LCA's is they give you a little more tire clearance on the inside. I can machine offset bushings to increase this even more. That's how I got 13" wide tires to fit and the rear of my car with 8 inch backspacing.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OldeSkool
And I def will not skimp on the ends. No point replacing 15 dollar ends every month when 30 dollar ends will last years
Oh yeah, definitely don't do that. I had that experience and it sounded absolutely like this

The brand of rod ends and spherical bearings I prefer is Aurora, however their S*** gets expensive, but man, so far they've lasted under some severe conditions, not to mention being nearly dead quiet. QA1's XM's are nevertheless premium stuff.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok, maybe i'll go steel just to be safe... and get some lighter wheels to make up the difference.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are some pics of the Control Arms I just made. They are made out of Chromemoly tubing with Chomemoly threaded inserts. I am using QA1 rod ends. They weigh in right at 3 lbs a piece. The stockers weigh around 4.3 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails What to make my LCA's out of-mvc-001s.jpg   What to make my LCA's out of-mvc-002s.jpg   What to make my LCA's out of-mvc-003s.jpg   What to make my LCA's out of-mvc-004s.jpg   What to make my LCA's out of-mvc-005s.jpg  

Old 12-16-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like good work!
Old 12-16-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks here is a painted pic...
Attached Thumbnails What to make my LCA's out of-100_0707-resize.jpg  
Old 12-16-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

If interested in making some like are on my website let me know. I got extra material when I was going to produce these for sale but decided to spend my money on other stuff so I got some material out there in the shop.
I have 2 of the 39.5" round alum tubing with the hex on the end along with 1 40" set up the same way.
I still have some QA1 rod ends too.
I also had some spacers made but they were expensive due to my low quantity.

my website is www.herronperformance.com and it shows them with a price but I am not selling these so this is not unpaid advertising, I got the material and will let it go at a discount from what you will pay to get the same stuff sent to your house. I decided to go a different route.

Anyway, if someone is interested in what material I got, just let me know. I will eventually put it in a FS section but just been too busy, maybe this will push me along....
Old 12-26-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

nice pics, they look very well made. Nice job man.

Quick Reply: What to make my LCA's out of