Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cutting My Stock Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting My Stock Springs?

I was thinking about cutting my stock coil springs to lower my car. Its an 02 Z/28 with LTs. Will my LTs hit the ground? Will I be able to get my floor jack underneath to change my oil? Has anyone done this? Is the ride quality **** afterwards? How much should I cut them? Thanks guys.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thelastz28
I was thinking about cutting my stock coil springs to lower my car. Its an 02 Z/28 with LTs. Will my LTs hit the ground? Will I be able to get my floor jack underneath to change my oil? Has anyone done this? Is the ride quality **** afterwards? How much should I cut them? Thanks guys.
I did it. My Pacesetter LT's don't hit anything. Sometimes my Spohn torque arm mounting brace scrapes. I have the straight brace and wouldn't recommend lowering for the curved brace. I can still get my standard floor jack under, but just barely. My ride quality is fine but handling much improved.

Measure the gap from the top of your tires to the wheel well (center). Go under car while it is lifted and the suspension is fully loaded. Measure the amount you want to lower for each spring from the bottom of the spring. Take the springs off and cut with cut-off wheel. Re-install and you're done with the springs. Don't forget about adjustable panhard rod to re-center the rear end and you'll probably need to adjust your pinion angle.