Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Painting brake calipers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting brake calipers.

well the paint and brake cleaner have been sitting in my garage for about a month now, but today i have the urge to finally paint them! could i get some pointers in doing-so with this process? it seems like a simple task, but i'm afraid i'll do something wrong and screw it up. how hard is it to remove the calipers and put them back on? will i need to remove the brake lines as well? i've only got 1 jack and no jackstands so could i get an estimation in time as to how long this process will take? any help/pointers would be great! thank you for your time.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

help please..?
Old 04-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Aside from the safety issues of no jack stands, I believe it's been covered before. I know, not helpful.

So, when I did mine on the Trailblazer I removed the calipers, sprayed with brake cleaner (liberally), scrubbed with a wire brush. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat again without the brushing.
I then shook the spray paint can (just kidding, well, I did, but I don't think that needs to be a step) and sprayed being careful of where the over spray was going.

Reinstalled the caliper and I still had to wait for the rotors to be done being resurfaced. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the pads were out at the time also, so throw in remove pads after remove calipers.

Anyway, I would guess around an hour and no more than two, if you're removing the brakes for the first time and just generally not in a hurry.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a rotary tool with a wire wheel and go to town on the metal portion of the caliper. Works much better than wire brush and steel wool. Clean everything you want to paint then mask the stuff off you dont want to paint. I used the paint in a pint container from duplicolor. Put on one coat wait to dry. Repeat. I found using foam brushes worked better than hair brushes. I put on about 5-7 coats. Then I let them dry then I attached the decals and cleared them and the caliper about 7 times. Dust just wipes right off. Go to some car shows and look at some imports w/ rattle can 0 prep painted rotors and then look at mine. There is definately a difference.

Sorry not the best pic
Old 04-13-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

If you are not replacing any lines then all you have to do is make sure not to get paint on any other then the calipers. Should be just unbolting the wheels and calipers, wait for the paint to dry and your set.

Quick Reply: Painting brake calipers.