Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

metal on metal screeching noise from wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default metal on metal screeching noise from wheel...

its not my brakes! the pads are still good and the noise isnt there when i braKE. it only comes when i make semi hard left turns at a speed above 35mph unless i jerk it to the left hard n quick. possibly a wheel bearing? if so do they need to be pressed in? or is it just a hub assembly that i can buy a new one and swap over?
Old 07-21-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Whoa I have the EXACT same problem. Mine also does it when stopping slowly uphill.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a clearance that should be maintained withi your calipers and rotor, there is a shim part number that is available if your calipers are not centered correctly within spec...not sure what it is...but there is one.

This sounds like it could be your problem. If it is not the actual brake pads that are creating the noise or a bearing... Many moons ago, (1995), when I rebuilt my stock rear-end with 4:10's, after re-shimming for backlash and pinion depth adjustment, the axles moved too far from spec in relation to the calipers. Upon hard turns, I'd have similar sounds and symptoms, after deduction, I realized what was occuring and corrected it. I had to create a few thousandth shim (which you can purchase as well as mentioned) to re-center the caliper.

Hope this helps you.