Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Z28 needs better handling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z28 needs better handling.

Just wanted some opinions on what to do to my car, I think it handles like its mounted on bubble gum. Its not wore out, well it shouldnt be with only 13k miles. What should I do. I'm not going to autocross or anything like that I just want it to be less squishy. Whats your guys opinions? Lower it? Control Arms? Panhard? All of them? What brands and stuff. How much lowering is to much since I plan on doing LT and ORY? I can do a search but I'm looking for opinions more than anything.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

If you've searched a bit already, I'm sure you've seen one of the few opinions that everyone seems to agree on. The stock shocks are really bad and you will get an instant improvement if you got an upgraded set. They will improve your ride quality for the street and handling at the same time.

Also, a competitive autox setup whether it be stock or street prepared can be also more comfortable than driving a stock z28
Old 07-23-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

the search is sucking atm..

I am in the same boat you are right now... but for the most part - a simple handling combo would be something like this

#1 SHOCKS : ultimate =Koni 4/3 or 4/4 ( 4th gen / 3rd gen konis )
acceptable = bilstein HD / bilstein re-valves

#2 SWAYBAR : Strano apparently makes a great one. Many choices

#3 PANHARD BAR : Anything better than stock.

Energy Suspension also sells a busing pack for our cars.. never heard much about it - but energy suspension products in the PAST have been good.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

i'm partial to the BMR stuff i have....good price, seems to be great quality and you have a choice in colors (some add $$...but still).

start with the basics

structural:
SFC.....enough said...even hard tops benefit from the added ridgidity

factory weaknesses:
shocks!!!!!!
if you plan for stock height...Bilsteins
if you want to lower it...KONI SA

and most important
contact with the road.....TIRES!!!
they make all the difference
since you've only got 13K miles...you probably only drive on nice summer days. i suggest some G-force KD tires....amazing dry traction at launch and corners, and reasonable wet traction

yes...things like phb, lca and sway bars help...but all those upgrades won't do much good if you can't keep the car on the pavement
Old 07-24-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Resident

yeah, good point - TIRES

That's actually a great place to start
Old 07-24-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

You described your ride as "squishy". And this is a low mile car, so yeah it shouldn't be ***** out. So IMHO replace what wasn't up to enthusiast driving in the 1st place.
1. Shocks-spend the $, get Konis or at least revalved bilstiens by Strano
2. Springs (stranos-not too low 1.2" drop. Will make your car ride like a sprts car should. Not harsh, but firm and responcive. I like the ride much better now)

These two will make a world of diff!
If you want a little more get Strano's sway bar set.

An adjustable PHB may help some, but is only "needed" w 315s.
STB and SFCs are overrated IMHO. Stock LCAs work pretty well for the non drag racer.

Oh, and yes TIRES are very improtant aswell. Slap on some 275/40/17s if you haven't already.

Quick Reply: Z28 needs better handling.