Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

radial pull--aligment question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default radial pull--aligment question

I had an alignment recently but my car is still pulling to the right so I switched the wheels from side to side to see if that would fix it.

Now with the wheels swapped, the car seems to drive straight but I'm confused as to why it's not pulling to the left since it was pulling right before the switch.

The tires are directional, so right now they are on backwards with the car is driving straight.

So, if I had the tires dismounted from the rims and swapped them from side to side so the tread direction is correct, would the car still drive the same as it is now with the tires on backwards?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

"So, if I had the tires dismounted from the rims and swapped them from side to side so the tread direction is correct, would the car still drive the same as it is now with the tires on backwards?"

that is the way I would go, it should be ok then, but there is no hard set rule, ( tires are like most woman, they are hard to figger out some times )I would only do one end of car at a time, to help pin pont which tire is the problem, the tire causing pull May out wear the other three
good luck Johnny
Old 07-31-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KillerTA
I had an alignment recently but my car is still pulling to the right so I switched the wheels from side to side to see if that would fix it.

Now with the wheels swapped, the car seems to drive straight but I'm confused as to why it's not pulling to the left since it was pulling right before the switch.

The tires are directional, so right now they are on backwards with the car is driving straight.

So, if I had the tires dismounted from the rims and swapped them from side to side so the tread direction is correct, would the car still drive the same as it is now with the tires on backwards?
i run an alignment/suspension shop, so here's my opinion:

no they would not. the tires have a conical shape worn into them now (think paper cup). so, if you flip the tires, the conical shape will be back facing to the right again.

reason why it isn't pulling left after swapping can be a couple of reasons. the biggest reason is road crown. road lean to the right to drain water off the road. if all alignment angles on the car were the same, the car would drift right because of the road crown. this is why you set the caster about 1/2* higher on the right versus the left. to offset the road crown.

if tires are the same front to rear, just rotate to the rear and leave them there.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrr23
i run an alignment/suspension shop, so here's my opinion:

no they would not. the tires have a conical shape worn into them now (think paper cup). so, if you flip the tires, the conical shape will be back facing to the right again.

reason why it isn't pulling left after swapping can be a couple of reasons. the biggest reason is road crown. road lean to the right to drain water off the road. if all alignment angles on the car were the same, the car would drift right because of the road crown. this is why you set the caster about 1/2* higher on the right versus the left. to offset the road crown.

if tires are the same front to rear, just rotate to the rear and leave them there.
I did rotate them front to back before I swapped them side to side and the pull wasn't as bad as it originally was, but it was still very noticeable and I've been taking note to which way the road is slanting so I know it's not the road.

I just find it realy weird that before I did my shocks, springs, and lca relocation brackets, that the car drove perfectly straight and now it doesn't when the tires are on correctly.