Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Horrible Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Squeak

Hey guys, I have a horrible squeak while driving. It will go away when i drive pretty fast or brake pretty hard. At first I thought it was the brakes, but I bought new pads and drilled and slotted rotors and the problem persisted. Do you guys have any ideas what this could be?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

If the squeak is not continuous (ie. it's rhythmic or happens in random frequency, however often), when did you change your shocks? (btw I don't think it's the shocks themselves, but it may be related to their installation).
Old 08-18-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

check your swaybar!!! make sure every bolt you see is tight
Old 08-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
If the squeak is not continuous (ie. it's rhythmic or happens in random frequency, however often), when did you change your shocks? (btw I don't think it's the shocks themselves, but it may be related to their installation).
Ditto on the shocks. If you recently changed them, don't drive it anymore until you find whats squeeking. I recently had that problem after the shop I took them to installed the shock wrong. Because the top nut of the shock wasnt tight enough it was loose and would squeak really bad. Managed to hit a good bump and it snapped that bolt off the top of the shock, ruining my brand new Koni DA with less than 50 miles on it.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

i been trying to figur out what it was to and i still got the stock shocks on my car.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

I will check the sway bar, but deffinintly check the shocks because they are aftermarket (and put in by the previous owner)
Old 08-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Pull the little carpet tabs behind the rear seats, then pull the foam cushions, and remove the upper shock nut (be careful to secure the shock tower itself from spinning, it can damage the shock internally - I use a locking grip on the top part of the shock tower (unthreaded, of course) while using an open ended wrench on the nut). When you pull the upper bushing, make note of the shock tower's location within the hole in the body, and whether it's sleeved by the lower bushing. There could be metal-to-metal contact here, and that's what would cause your squeak at ANY sort of suspension movement, however minute.