Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Broken bleeders please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken bleeders please help!

ok so i blead the brakes today. the rears went great the fluid that came out for the first 5 minutes was basically black. I finished with the rears and moved to the front right ... and then the bleader broke off in the box end of the wrench. No **** if f&*king broke off in the end of the wrench. I wasn't doing anything stupid like kicking the wrench I just had strong pressure on the end of the wrench and it twisted the f*&k off, flush with the face of the caliper. So after a good bit of swearing I put the wheel back on and just added that to the list of things I need to do next weekend. so I move to the left front and try to redeem myself and I stripped the bleeder with the box end of the wrench. Basically a not cool day. What should I do, get a set of "tap outs" and try and get the bleeders out? Or should I just get a set of replacement calipers from autozone? Do the replacement calipers come with everything or are they bare? Some advice from the experienced brake guru's would be much appreciated. Thanks. p.s. i'm not retarded just really unlucky this weekend I guess.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Use lots of heat and a good set of channel locks on the stripped screw.

You MIGHT be able to use heat and an ez-out on the other side. If all else fails, caliper rebuilds from A-zone aren't bad.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think i'll try what you suggested this weekend. can i use anti-cease on bleeder screws?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Kozak, same thing happened to me. Both front bleeder screws were siezed. Buying the bolt removal tools was a waste of money, all they did was rip up the bleeder screw.

Autozone... Fenco remanufactured stock replacement calipers are ~40 a piece + 40 dollar core charge refundable after you give them your old caliper. They come with the piston all assembled inside of it and with new bleeder screws. Save your caliper pins, bolts, brackets, etc. I replaced both of mine with these and I autocross my car a lot and brakes work awesome, better than before. They ordered them for me and I had them in 2 days.

I spent more money on siezed bolt breaking tools than I did on the new calipers. Don't waste any more time on those bleeder screws that are probably welded stuck to your caliper. Hope that helps
Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you very much, i was still milling this over in my head but you put the nail in the coffin, and i trust this info coming from an auto-x guy. I'll pick some up this weekend and let you know how it goes. thanks again for all you help guys.

Quick Reply: Broken bleeders please help!