Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Full length or Short Torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 03:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full length or Short Torque arm

I want to replace my torque am but not sure if I should get the full lenght or the shorter one. I know the shorter one takes the pressure off of the transmission tail and that shorter ones work good on high powered drag cars. Mine is mostly for the street and will have around 400hp and 400 torque once my heads and cam are installed. Might go to the track once every two to three months so drag is not my main concern more of street racing? Any help greatly appriciated.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the full length version, and buy a torque arm relocation kit. The shorter length torque arms i have been told will induce axle hop during hard braking.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Yes based on that driving I would recommend a full length torque arm as well. It will be very street friendly, comfortable and will work excellent at the track. Here is the item I would recommend- www.umiperformance.com/2205

If you have any questions I will be glad to help.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 08-31-2007, 02:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree that a standard UMI TA would be more than fine, and the relocation kit (http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7) would get it off the tail-shaft without causing other headaches. I like this a lot better than tunnel mount TA's because the area where the transmission crossmember bolts is much stronger than the tunnel brace mount. AND you can run the longer TA which helps keep brake-hop at bay. I run a full-length one on my car, and I would run the relocation bracket if I were allowed, but the rules in the category I race don't let me.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion