Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tweaked ES trans mount. How do I keep from happening again? *Pic*

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tweaked ES trans mount. How do I keep from happening again? *Pic*

Hey, put the energy suspensions poly mount in my car several months ago. I ran the plate for a week, then took the plate out due to suggestions on the board. It was a ton smoother.

Lately I've been having a weird clunk back and forth and vibration issues. I crawled underneath and checked the mount and saw this.

Now you can see the problem.

I'm on my way to buy another one right now. Any tips how to keep this from happening again? I torqued down everything to spec with loktite, but didn't re-tighten later. Could that have been it?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Launching!

OK, well until someone can help me out with the above, I have another question. What'd you all torque the single bolt that goes into the trans mount. Not the ones that hold the bracket in place, the one that goes in the center. There isn't any specs with the mount or in my book. I think I just torqued the hell out of the past one, so maybe that's what did it. This time I went till it was really snug, but not until stop. Loktite of course.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the exact same thing happen to mine First time was without the preload plate in there.. current mount I left the preload plate in and shimmed the crossmember down and it still did it but not as bad. I have Poly motor mounts too so its not like the engine is moving around a ton. I've ordered up a Prothane mount instead. hopefully it will work.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
I had the exact same thing happen to mine First time was without the preload plate in there.. current mount I left the preload plate in and shimmed the crossmember down and it still did it but not as bad. I have Poly motor mounts too so its not like the engine is moving around a ton. I've ordered up a Prothane mount instead. hopefully it will work.
Guess I'm not alone. I had horrible vibrations when I used the plate though so I left it out again. I don't see how it could affect the mount like that. I'm guessing I may have not had it centered and just being at even the slightest angle might have wore it down. This time I pushed it against the bolts while tightening the mount to the tranny so it should be even.

If it happens again I'll go with the Prothane one.

Quick Reply: Tweaked ES trans mount. How do I keep from happening again? *Pic*