Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Cryogenically Frozen Rotors!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cryogenically Frozen Rotors!!

Hey I was wondering if anyone has tried or currently has a set of Cryo brakes??? Do they have a significant decrease in warping and wearing pads??
Would you recommend them to others and was the xtra price worth it??

For those of you who do not know about cryogenic treatment. Basically in a nut shell, the material is taken to approx. -300 F for a given amount of time. For brake rotors I beleive it is about 30 mins. When the material is induced under this extreme temperature the molecules in the material go into a state of suspense. When this happens the molecules reform themselves into a much tighter bond. Thus changing the molecular structure of the material which makes it much more stronger. The engineers and companies that use this type of treatment claim that the material will then not be as affected by temperature changes which will allow you to run parts at much smaller clearances,Ex. giving you more compression when used with pistons and rings. And reduces warping, rotor runout, taper, brake fade, pad wear, ect.

If you want to know more about cryogenic treatment you should check it out on the web. There are many performance gains you can obtain from using it with a fully built engine.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

I guess none of the 33 people who checked this out have Cryo Brakes.

Well I'll have my brakes Cryogenically Treated and I'll tell ya'll the results.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of it but sounds like a good idea
Old 09-10-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would think it would cause the metal to be brittle. But I guess it doesn't or at least not enough to cause a problem.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

My buddy just had his rotors done for his vette......He's putting them on this week.....I'll let ya know what he thinks of them
Old 09-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

You guys should check it out like I said. It's pretty cool stuff. The same technology they use to Freeze Human Bodies.

The fastest Shelby Cobra was built with complete Cryogenic parts. A supercharged 327 cid pushing over 1200 hp!! I think it was like 1225 hp! Its in the Guinnes Book of World records.

I met the owner of this vehicle who built it with Carrol Shelby and a couple guys from NASA back in 1964!!

YES 1964!!

Quick Reply: Cryogenically Frozen Rotors!!