Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bleeding brakes after installing ss lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bleeding brakes after installing ss lines

I've searched quite a bit, but i still have some questions. First of all, I will be installing ss brake lines and changing the fluid for ate. I've bled brakes one time and that was 7 yrs ago, and i've never installed lines before.

With that said, what I was wondering about was after i get the lines on what is the best way to bleed the old fluid out? I was reading some posts about air getting into the abs unit and being hard to get out? Is there a way to keep the old fluid in the abs unit and the master long enough to get all the lines installed and then bleed them out? Or does it not matter?

Btw, i have a mityvac and can probably acquire a person or two to help.

thanks,
Josh
Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Just manual bleed it, I've found thats still the best way to bleed air out(with abs systems), over unconventional ways(pressure, vaccuum, reverse,). You shouldnt have an issue with the abs system if your just installing hoses anyways, just try not to let the master cylinder reservoir run dry.

Have someone pump the pedal three times, hold the pedal, crack the bleeder screw until pressure subsides(pedal goes to floor). Close the screw, and then release the pedal. Repeat until the pedal feels good. It shouldnt take long if your just installing SS lines.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

dont forget to go farthest to closest when bleedng each brake, ie-rear passener, rear driver, front passenger, front driver.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just don't let the master run dry like meangreen said.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

To speed up the flush, you can remove 3/4 of the old fluid from the master cylinder with a turkey baster and fill it back up with new fluid. Destroy and throw away the turkey baster when you are done. You really don't want it accidentally used elsewhere.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

thanks guys, i installed and bled tonight and everything went smoothly thanks to your help. It stops noticeably faster and it is a lot smoother and responsive. I attribute the faster stopping to the fluid change and the smoothness and responsiveness to the lines. I still have to install my pads and rotors.

Thanks again,
Josh