Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Un-sprung weight - F-Body Vs C5 rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Un-sprung weight - F-Body Vs C5 rotors

OK so I threw a set of factory f-body front rotors on a bathroom scale and also a set of front Brembo Corvette rotors.

They weighed 18 and 18.5 pounds, respectively. The old factory f-body rotors have been turned once but that should impact the weight much; right?

Are the Brembos lighter than factory rotors?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know for sure, but i kinda doubt just turning them would remove a half a pound of metal from each rotor, unless they were REALLY bad....but i would think that taking that much metal off them would make them too thin to be usable.

so i'm gonna say that the Brembos are probably a bit heavier than the stock rotors......but at 18lbs vs. 18.5lbs, i'd definitely go with the vette rotors. the extra 1 pound difference in weight would be FAR surpassed by the extra stopping power.

just go take a big dump before you go race, and you'd save more weight than that.....
Old 11-09-2007, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

weight in your butt isn't the same as weight hung off the suspension ... i'd be interested in more technical replies if anyone has any data on the respective stopping distances of each setup, along with information on how much added unsprung weight will slow you down.

Quick Reply: Un-sprung weight - F-Body Vs C5 rotors