Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best DD Shock/Spring Combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best DD Shock/Spring Combo

Ok im finally getting to the point where I cant take the rodes around here anymore on my sportline/bilstein setup. What would be the best DD setup? I want as smooth as possible ride while being as low as possible.

No air ride either. Thats not something I want to get into. Also please dont post recommendations unless you have actually had the set up or have some kind of experience with it.

Thanks!!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strano springs and Koni SA shocks are about as good as it gets. Your car will be raised up a bit from where it is now, but it should handle and ride much, much better. There really isn't a spring that I know of that will put you as low as your sportlines and perform as well as the Stranos.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by my01ws6
Ok im finally getting to the point where I cant take the rodes around here anymore on my sportline/bilstein setup. What would be the best DD setup? I want as smooth as possible ride while being as low as possible.

No air ride either. Thats not something I want to get into. Also please dont post recommendations unless you have actually had the set up or have some kind of experience with it.

Thanks!!
If I were you this is what I would do. Order the Koni SA's, and use stock springs w/ heater hose mod and lower front perch. Drive like that, see how you like it (it will be much better than what you have right now), and if its still not low enough for you get some strano springs. You wont be riding the bump stops like you are right now, and that alone will make a big difference.
#1 thing here, you NEED good shocks if you're going to lower the car, its not an overexaggeration, its a fact. They control how the car behaves, and if they cannot damper your springs/car, the ride will be floaty/bouncy and harsh.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks!!
So you finally went through with it and want to change already? I need to sticky this thread

Perfect example of one who spends more money in the long run when they just end up with Konis in the end. Not to be pessimistic, but its true.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Strano Springs and Koni's hands down, nothing else will compare
Old 11-12-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So you finally went through with it and want to change already? I need to sticky this thread

Perfect example of one who spends more money in the long run when they just end up with Konis in the end. Not to be pessimistic, but its true.
No the ride is actually pretty good. If I didnt have to DD the car I would leave it like this. Being as I work in an area that has alot of speed bumps, steep entrance ways etc etc I just dont think its a wise decision.

I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE THE WAY THE CAR TAKES TURNS THO!!!! Im pretty sure im going with Koni and Stranos tho. How is the ride with those? Better than stock?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have koni sa's with hotchkis springs. Mine is a daily driver, but i bought the hotchkis springs before strano springs came out. i will probably be switching to strano springs soon.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No the ride is actually pretty good. If I didnt have to DD the car I would leave it like this. Being as I work in an area that has alot of speed bumps, steep entrance ways etc etc I just dont think its a wise decision.

I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE THE WAY THE CAR TAKES TURNS THO!!!! Im pretty sure im going with Koni and Stranos tho. How is the ride with those? Better than stock?
how can you say that the ride is pretty good, but in your first post, you say that you can't take your current setup anymore for daily driving because of the roads around there?

isn't that contradictory?

the handling may be pretty good to you, as far as handling turns on smooth pavement is concerned, but if you're having problems with speed bumps, driveways, etc., then the ride is most definitely not good.....anytime you're riding on the bumpstops, the ride will not be good. if it's to the point where you are considering a change in setup, the ride is not good.

and yes, with the Strano/Koni setup, you will have a LOT better ride/handling than stock....if you didn't, tons of people on here (myself included) wouldn't have spent around $1000 on the shock/spring combo.

i have not had a chance to get my shocks/springs installed yet, but by doing some simple reading about other people's setups and their opinions of them (such as knowing that Sam Strano himself used this exact setup to win several competitions), i don't need to have them installed to be able to tell you it will be a LOT better than stock.

when a lot of people choose a particular part, some see it as "following the herd"......which may be the case for some people.....but i say that if a lot of people choose a particular setup, it's usually for a good reason.

if you're ok with spending tons of money trying out different setups yourself, then by all means, knock yourself out. you should definitely get a lot of good, first-hand experience in doing so. but the majority of people simply don't have either the time or the money to keep changing things constantly.....so what do they do to reduce the vehicle's downtime and keep from spending more money than is necessary for a particular goal? they read the forums and see what has worked for other people, and pick the setup that allows them to meet their goals for the car.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Well why not just keep it? At least for a while. You may be right on the bumpstops and it might not autox well, but since your not doing any of then then why spend more money? If you didn't bottom out yet then just keep it that way.

I bottom out all the time over the hump at the speedway, but I guess I don't care lol. My LTs are scraped a little but oh well
Old 11-13-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well Eibach Pro Kit looks good but the ride sucks! I would not recommend them for the ride comfort, especially if your on big wheels.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I want some koni's and strano's so bad, I didnt research and ordered the cheapest shock/spring's I could find and it's so far my biggest regret!