Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rotor question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rotor question.

I bought and already installed my drilled and slotted rotors. Does it matter how they go on? I mean as far as the slots. I was at a car show the other day and some ricer came over and noticed my slots are going the wrong way and they should be switched around. He said the slots throw the brake dust out to where as mine it seems like they through the brake dust in. I didn't think it mattered when I was putting them on... Is he a retarded ricer or did I **** up?

BTW he has thousands in his interior modifications and on the slip we fill out and put in the dash he's listing 175 HP
Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

He most likely is a retard ricer, but you may have fu*#ed up a little. I don't know about the dust so much, but the gases are supposed to escape through the slots to keep it cooler. They are directional is the short answer. Won't take much to swap 'em, though.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Launching!

They can't be "directional" in the same sense as a tyre. A tyre you can mount with the "inside" facing "out" and vice versa. That's why you have to pay attention to the directional arrows on a directional tyre. But with rotors, they have a raised hub, so unless you mounted your rotors backwards (and you wouldn't get far if you did), there is only one way you can mount them and therefore there is no way you can mess up their "direction." Doesn't really matter anyway because a) the slots are supposed to vent gasses, not brake dust and b) modern pads doesn't produce gasses during use.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Normally they have a different part number for right and left, so you can put them on the wrong side. Obviously you can't put them on backwards, silly!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Ok well should I just swap out one side for the other and make the slots go the right way? I don't want every person who looks at my rotors to be like dude... they're on backwards.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

According to some literature I recently read from Brembo Sport, they say to install their slotted rotors so that the slot edge closest to the outside edge of the rotor contacts the brake pad first.

Quick Reply: Rotor question.