Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alignment question

im gonna take the car to get aligned since i put the newer spindles on, and i have a question about the bushings. my lower ball joints are still stiff, but the rubber leaks some grease out, my A arm bushings to the K member are worn out, and the tie rod end bushings are flattened out/torn to hell. would they still be able to align the car?

i dont really have the time to do all of the bushings right now, but i was thinking about it when i do the oil pan since i have to drop the whole front subframe 4" anyways.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ball joint boots will "leak" a little grease normally, as they have a "weep hole" to allow air/old grease out when you pump in fresh stuff. However, if you want to spruce up the undercarriage a little, Energy Suspension makes poly dust boots for both BJs and tie rod ends.

However, bad boots won't prevent you from getting a proper alignment. Worn lower A-Arm bushings, are a different story, though. You can get the camber set while the car is stationary on the alignment rack, but they'll allow the car to wander a bit at speed.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the car pulls to the right slightly, so im thinking it needs to be toed in on that side to compensate with the crown in the road, but other than that its a straight line.

im not gonna touch the A arm bushings because i plan on getting the whole tubular/rod end setup from UMI one day.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
well the car pulls to the right slightly, so im thinking it needs to be toed in on that side to compensate with the crown in the road, but other than that its a straight line.

im not gonna touch the A arm bushings because i plan on getting the whole tubular/rod end setup from UMI one day.

Could be a caster adjustment too, in which case the lower a-arm will have to be adjusted a bit.