Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installed Koni SA's and Eibach pros, going back to stock, anyone else? Review also...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Installed Koni SA's and Eibach pros, going back to stock, anyone else? Review also...

Koni SA 4/4's, fronts on upper perch, full soft all around.

I installed my Koni's and lt1 eibach pro's (sam was out of his springs) last weekend and i'm probably going back to the stock springs. I have the konis on full soft all around and it's just too rough for me. Yeah call me a wuss, but opinions on ride quality are like opinions on good music. Just because the majority says something is good doesn't mean you'll like it.

I know that without actually getting to physically try something out in person prior to buying, there's always the chance of dissatisfaction. And after all that i had read here for the last 3 months of researching, i was ready to make the call. I'm not faulting anyone, so don't take it that way.

I am impressed with the build quality of the koni's. Very quality product. Directions were terrible. I didn't use any of the paperwork that came with them. I'm a jet mechanic by trade and those directions had me and the guys at work scratching our heads, maybe we were reading them too literally. I found all the info i needed here though, thanks again to LS1TECH!!!

Overall cornering ability is drastically better, car feels WAY more "stuck" to the road on long circular on-ramps and quick lane changes, and that part is very cool. The new lower springs make a huge difference in appearance also. But the sacrifice in ride during the other 99.9% of the time when i'm not speeding through corners, is just too uncomfortable for me.

I expect that i'll get flamed by someone saying "what did you expect," or "you should have known that ride quailty is always a compromise when lowering." It just turned out to be more than i expected.

I'm going to put the stock springs back on, lower perch up front and doing the hose mod in the rear.

Soooo my questions are..... has anyone ditched their aftermarket springs with koni's for stock springs and konis? and Will my ride harshness calm down after a couple weeks or so many miles? I ask that because i've heard something to that affect.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by sneaky7980; 09-27-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Me kant spel
Old 09-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sneaky7980
I have the konis on full soft all around
That's part of the problem right there...
Old 09-27-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did almost the exact same set up. Your definition of good ride quality is probably similar to mine. You really don't want those front struts below 4 sweeps from full stiff (I have the SA's). I noticed my steering feeling crappy and the car didn't drive right. I too am tooling with the idea of either stock springs or BMR's. Sam Strano himself says the worst component in our suspension is the shocks, so yes, going with Konis on stock springs would work great.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I forgot to say, i initially went with the common setting of full soft rear, 4 sweeps up front. Full soft up front was an improvement to me.

Originally Posted by Ironhead
That's part of the problem right there...
I bounce out of my seat less with that setting, please elaborate on what i did wrong...
Old 09-27-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

You have them set too soft, it drives even worse with high rate springs. They don't dampen properly there.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts

I went from Bilsteins to Koni SA's on the lower perch up front, set on 4 sweeps from full soft. Stock springs. I find impact harshness to be considerably greater with this Koni setup. So, you may experience an improvement, but still find the ride harsher than expected.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Launching!

please elaborate on what i did wrong..
Originally Posted by Redlinez
You have them set too soft, it drives even worse with high rate springs. They don't dampen properly there.
Exactly.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess my understanding of how these shocks work is backwards. "Full soft" means rougher?
And to prevent myself from bouncing out of my seat i need to go full firm?

I thought that full soft meant just that, a softer ride than full firm.?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:45 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

If it´s ride quailty you want then I guess stock springs will be the thing for you. I got the Stranos and Konis and love them, running 5/8 front and 3/8 back. The car is like a go-kart but to my surprise very livable on the streets. My car is not a daily driver though.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I guess my understanding of how these shocks work is backwards. "Full soft" means rougher?
And to prevent myself from bouncing out of my seat i need to go full firm?

I thought that full soft meant just that, a softer ride than full firm.?
There's more to it than just soft and stiff. Koni Sport single adjustable shocks adjust on rebound only. Not on compression. Regardless of full soft or full stiff, the part where the spring compresses will go at the same rate. On full soft, the rebound dampening is less and doesn't control the spring as much. On full stiff, you still compress at the same speed and then the spring return back doesn't occur as fast.

A typical preferred setting with the front konis is 4-5 sweeps from full stiff. Full soft is too soft for strano springs. Though you might try 4-5 sweeps from full stiff and like it, or you might not. Different people like different things. My strano/koni combo suprises me how comfortable it is. It's not a honda accord or anything, but it's very good for a performance suspension.

Other things can also effect ride quality. Do you have WS6 bumpstops? They are square ended, unlike the progressive z28 bumpstops that are triangular shaped. I've heard switching to z28 bumpstops has improved some people's ride quality. What kinds of other mods do you have in your car? What kind of tires do you have, and size wheels? I wouldn't blame it on springs and shocks just yet.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
There's more to it than just soft and stiff. Koni Sport single adjustable shocks adjust on rebound only. Not on compression. Regardless of full soft or full stiff, the part where the spring compresses will go at the same rate. On full soft, the rebound dampening is less and doesn't control the spring as much. On full stiff, you still compress at the same speed and then the spring return back doesn't occur as fast.

A typical preferred setting with the front konis is 4-5 sweeps from full stiff. Full soft is too soft for strano springs. Though you might try 4-5 sweeps from full stiff and like it, or you might not. Different people like different things. My strano/koni combo suprises me how comfortable it is. It's not a honda accord or anything, but it's very good for a performance suspension.

Other things can also effect ride quality. Do you have WS6 bumpstops? They are square ended, unlike the progressive z28 bumpstops that are triangular shaped. I've heard switching to z28 bumpstops has improved some people's ride quality. What kinds of other mods do you have in your car? What kind of tires do you have, and size wheels? I wouldn't blame it on springs and shocks just yet.

Thanks, Bryan! That the kind of response i was hoping for. Descriptive.
I have the traingular regular T/A bumpstops, I'm also waiting for the Sumitomo's to completely wear out before replacing them, should be real soon. I'm also running stock chrome 16' wheels for now and the only other susp mod is my pavlock dbl adj phr.

thanks!
Old 09-27-2008, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds so complicated...but I agree with you on not buying til you can test it out in person. That's why I'm holding off on buying expensive shocks...I'm fine with my Sportlines and stock shocks right now..hah
Old 09-27-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, Bryan! That the kind of response i was hoping for. Descriptive.
I have the traingular regular T/A bumpstops, I'm also waiting for the Sumitomo's to completely wear out before replacing them, should be real soon. I'm also running stock chrome 16' wheels for now and the only other susp mod is my pavlock dbl adj phr.

thanks!
Hmm.. I don't think Sumitomos would ride bad. 16 inch wheels would provide the most comfort. I think you might just be picky

BTW your not actually using the tornado intake fitting are you?
Old 09-28-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

imo i would have never gone with eibach... to my experience eibach is usually a rougher ride than other manufacturer's, pro-kit and sportline. I have hotchkis, which is rated at 1" drop, love the stance, ride, and driveability in them. I didnt notice any discomfort changing from stock springs to hotchkis.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:26 AM
Teching In

Not sure which Eibach's you are referring to, but my progressive rate Eibach's from SLP, combined with SLP Bilstein shocks, actually improve the normal ride somewhat from stock, with great improvement in performance [cornering, etc.].

For auto-X cars I'm guessing linear springs might be better, but for a daily driver I think SLP nailed it, and Koni single-adj. shocks + progressive springs should probably give you the best overall handling/ride qualities.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the LT1 style Eibachs but i had the pro-kit on my 01 WS6 which dropped the front about 1 1/2" and the rear dropped over 2", was too low and was way to low after my 4" exhaust was installed, I then switched to Strano springs keeping my KYBs. I did the rear right when I got em because they are easy, the difference was HUGE! I still need to install the front springs and eventually im going to Konis all around.

The Eibachs may not have been so bad if they didnt drop my car so much but I am very impressed with Sams springs and looking forward to the Konis.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 862 Likes on 613 Posts

Have you called and talk to Strano? If you bought the stuff from him he will talk to you as long as it takes until you are happy.

It sounds like you are going to give this setup another chance which is good.

I adjusted my koni's the way sam told me to and have pretty much left them alone. I tried to firm up the rear's. I wanted the rear not to squat or roll as much in a corner. I adjusted the rear's firmer. Well I don't know what I am doing and it didn't help. After talking to Sam for a while he explained it to me.

Make sure you check your tire pressure. I installed my stuff and went and drove it. I didn't notice it before but my tires were low. I filled them up and that made a big difference.

Good luck with your car.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:09 PM
cjb
Staging Lane

I´we noticed that tire pressure make a huge different in how the suspension feel and react. For now I´m running 33psi front and 32 psi in the rear. Works great for me. I´we tried different settings, for instance, I tried 30 psi all around. To my surprise the ride felt harsher. Particular in the rear. As if the shock/spring combo did´t get the chance to do their thing, like all energy was taking up by the tires. Just some thoughts.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

LS1 Prokits are linear and aren't at all the same as the LT1 prokits, although I am considering BMR and Hotchkis springs just for less drop and a different ride.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Now, this is a good thread (and thank god, I was wondering if I'd ever see another one).

A few points. What you've learned is what's ok for Billy Bob isn't what Billy Joe might be after. People are different, and this is why I like to talk to folks vs. just using a website to sell parts. That said, folks need to understand that when they install stiff and lower springs, the firmness of the ride is not decreased. Most folks are willing to make that trade for the look, the handling, etc. And when teamed with good shocks the ride,while firm is often less impact harsh than stock. But it might still be too much for some.

Ok, here's what I'd suggest: You started at a baseline setting. You then went WAY softer in front. Now I think you are too soft. I'd recommend playing with settings in between and see if you can improve things to your liking.

If not, I in no way think it'd be a bad idea to run stock springs on the Koni's. And in fact when the ultimate in handling is not required and imperfect roads are involved I often suggest this to folks regardless of what springs they are thinking of (including mine). Sometimes stiffer, shorter springs are not the answer.

The shocks will still matter, a lot. They are the biggest key. Stock springs will give you more working travel and wheel rate. The shocks will then control the rate of pitch and roll as well as how fast the car settles down and takes a set. This is BMW's trick, springs that aren't stiff and great damping.

I suggest you try, but only after making sure you can't dial in better with the current setup by using the adjustment you haven't explored. And I'll add, make sure your tire pressures aren't stupid high. That just wrecks ride quality with firmer springs and shocks than stock on the car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Installed Koni SA's and Eibach pros, going back to stock, anyone else? Review also...