Pipeline welders in DFW come in.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pipeline welders in DFW come in.

I know this isn't the best time to get into pipeline welding, but I've always loved welding and I just decided that college isn't for me. My best friend's brother is a pipeline welder and has told me about it and I've done a little bit of practice with him.

What I'm looking for is to be a welder's helper. I want to work with someone that will teach me how to actually be a welder so that I can be a welder one day. I'd like to work around south Ft. Worth (Crowley, Burleson, Joshua, Cleburne, Godly, etc...) but really I'm so eager to get into it that I'd consider areas that are farther away.

If there's any pipeline welders on here that are looking for a new helper or know someone who is, I am interested.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

I will pass this on to my brother he is a Superintendent for some Pipeline company. My father was a Pipeliner for over 20 years before getting his Degree at an older age. I worked pipelines for years until I decided I was tired of traveling. There will be a lot of traveling if you want to work pipelines the pay is good and you get per-dim also. Being a Welder helper on a pipeline is hard work and a very fast passed job unless your working bigger pipe then the helper gets a break.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Yeah I know it's fast pace and hard, but I can handle it. I've been doing manual labor since I was 16. I enjoy working with my hands and I'm currently a BMW mechanic. But yes I know it's tough, but that's why I want to be a helper temporarily and want to learn to do the welding myself. I knew there was traveling, but from what I heard is that you kinda get to pick your jobs. Plus down here south of Fort Worth it seems like there's a new rig put up about once every couple weeks, so I figure I can find jobs somewhat locally.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As a newb in the oil field you are probably not going to get to pick your jobs.... The best way to move up is to go where they want, when they want.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

I know of a BIG pipeline job going on in Central Texas and one more up in Arkansas.

I am debating on whether to get back out in the field or to stay in the office. I am a pipeline inspector.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Which Central, TX? The one by El Paso or Nacogdoches?

And I know I wouldn't be able to pick and choose, but hopefully the guy I was a helper for would try to stay in the DFW.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Central as in the Waco area.

Check out a company named Flint. I think they are in the area that you live in and work on pipeline.