tranny flush or not???

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default tranny flush or not???

Okay i have a 06 pontiac g6 that has 75K. I bought it with 24K a little over 2 years ago. I have been putting off getting the tranny fluids serviced.
Do i need to get them to just change the tranny fluids or go ahead and flush the whole transmission and add new filter.

any inputs anyone????i heard flushing the system can be bad

thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

opinions aside, an 06 G6 should be factory filled with Dex VI, which is a synthetic fluid and the manual says is a 'lifetime fill' unless you drive under harsh conditions.

that being said, when does anyone on this site actually listen to factory service intervals. shouldnt be an issue flushing it, just make sure you use the right fluid.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That many miles I wouldn't recommend a tranny flush.If you are having problems with the tranny it could make the problem worse instead of improving the problem.Even if the tranny is shifting good ,it may start to develop issues.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

It's a bit of a risk at that mileage. What service method and chemical package are you thinking of? I prefer BG products, they kick *** and the warranty is premo. You could improve your odds and simply use fluid, with no additive/cleaner/conditioner package. You should do this every 30k, period. If you were at 100k, I'd say no way. If it were mine, I'd risk it IF the fluid still looks and smells decent. Odds are, you'll add some life. If not, you'll know in a couple hundred miles - slip city.

Make sure the flush process only uses the transmissions own pump pressure, no additional pressure from outside. I'd say, given all that, you have a 60-70% chance that you're helping your situation. You decide, it's your car. If you decide not to, start socking away money for repairs. Actually, do that anyway, hammer it til it breaks. When it does...upgrade time!!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the transmission shifts good and i haven't heard any problems. i knew i was past due on the tranny fluid change and wanted opinions. i'm leaning towards taking it to the dealership and getting them to do it. is this a good move? they wanted $140 for a tranny flush???
Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just take it to a good shop. Any KWIK KAR or same type of garage will do. Your mileage is fine, no tranny problems, so just take it in and you should be good. And $140 does sound a little high, unless its synthetic fluid. Good luck.

and BG products are good, but there service over here BLOWS, so we told them to **** off.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree with Kwikkar, pretty much. $140 sounds about right, tad high for regular ATF, tad low for synthetic - but in the ballpark. Tranny holds 10 quarts and you'll use 13-14 getting all the old fluid out. As Kwik noted, not all sales reps are created equal, but BG fluids and equipment kick ***. Just make sure that only the transmission's own pump pressure is used and you should be good. The equipment should only be used to transfer fluids and track progress (like BG's), not add pressure. It's nice to see the pretty bright red lfuid circulate when you're done. I always prefer synthetic, FWIW. You may even feel a slight improvement in how the car shift afterwards. As long as your fluid is not too dark red and doesn't smell burnt now, I'd go for it. Good luck.