Help with a Cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a Cam swap

Anybody in the Houston area be interested in making some extra money helping me swap out the cam in my truck? I'm pretty knowledgable mechanically and have done a lot of the work on the truck myself, but never done a cam swap before. I priced getting it done by a shop and the first quote was $2700, granted that included the cam and parts, BUT..... not happening. I'll be doing the heads at the same time but just need somebody for the cam, really just support knowledge, i'll be doing all the wrench turning, you can can just sit back, drink some beer and make some easy money. The truck is an '05 Z71 with a 5.3L.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

We have supporting local vendors like LMR and Pavlock that have reasonable cam packages that include parts, installation and tuning, if I recall correctly they were a good bit under the price you were quoted.

Last edited by 03Sssnake; 01-13-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Default Ez

The cam is e z, if you will have the heads off just watch the lifters so they dont fall in the crankcase. The timing cover,oil pump,and chain come off. The oil pump pick up bolt can easily be removed without pulling the pan.Just spin the cam by hand and pull it out being careful not to drag on the bearings when coming out.If you can do heads you can do cam also, just be damn sure to follow correct torque procedures(specifically the rocker bolts). Buy a new crank bolt and torque the **** out of it too. Its pretty straight forward to do.Now ive have skipped alot of the obvious steps that dont need to be mentioned for the sake of keeping it short.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not that hard, especially in a truck. There are severeal write ups that will help with every step. I did my first swap using a write up from this site.