How to not get scammed on PayPal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to not get scammed on PayPal?

I have seen the numerous threads with PayPal chaos as well as internet fraud being on the rise. I am looking for advice on how to not get scammed via PayPal. Some research I have seen it to, obviously avoid the "I'm not local" BS. FYI, this is through the seller's eyes, as I am trying to sell my iPhone on craigslist.

The guy says he is local and wants to use his PayPal CC to purchase the phone. I told him, I would only ship if it we use PayPal and the cost of signature delivery confirmation and cost of shippings and PayPal fees will be in him. The signature confirmation puts the heat on him if he claims "Item not as described" and the tracking number puts the heat on him for "Item not received."

Any other advice you guys and girls have?

EDIT: Also, I will immediately remove the funds from the account if paid, that way they cannot freeze them if he files a claim immediately.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

The signature confirmation puts the heat on him if he claims "Item not as described"
no it wont
Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by aggiez28
no it wont
Ya that's just confirmation he received the item...

Also, don't let him pay you via paypal credit card. He can chargeback up to a year after the transaction and that is well past the 45 day dispute window.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

EDIT: Also, I will immediately remove the funds from the account if paid, that way they cannot freeze them if he files a claim immediately.
if you do that and he files a claim and paypal sides with him they will send it to a collections agency to collect from you.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Say hell no to paypal if he is local. Tell him if he is a serious buyer y'all can meet up and do a cash transaction. Anything I put on craigslist I say "Cash only".
Old 06-16-2010, 04:51 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by tripps
Say hell no to paypal if he is local. Tell him if he is a serious buyer y'all can meet up and do a cash transaction. Anything I put on craigslist I say "Cash only".
X2 if he is local tell him to bring cash and we'll meet up somewhere. Otherwise I'd pass. I buy things using Paypal and sell a few things and really haven't had an issue. but I have only used it thru board members here and other boards I'm on. But there are people out there trying to screw anyone.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by aggiez28
if you do that and he files a claim and paypal sides with him they will send it to a collections agency to collect from you.
Last I remember, it was damn near impossible to get $$ from paypal if the item was "not as described". If you recieved an item (even a box full of ****), then they would pretty much tell you to **** off.

Either way, what's his reason for having to pay through paypal? Does he not have the cash, and his only way of paying is with a CC?

I've had alot of transactions on paypal and have never been scammed. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't think its that prevalent. 99% of what I've used paypal for is Ebay or here though. Craigslist can be a pretty sketchy website.

Quick Reply: How to not get scammed on PayPal?