All sorts of crap going on...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All sorts of crap going on...

Need some thought on what is going on with they way my car is running. I had my motor rebuilt last year and it but it seems that I am having timing issues above 4k rpm. When under hard acceleration above 4k it starts to cut out or spudder. But driving around normally it runs fine. I put a catch can thinking that I am getting too much oil in the cylinders and causing detonation. Well it still doing it. Now, what I have noticed is my volt gauge is reading low when driving and lower at idle. I have a scan master and I have monitored the voltage that way for a while and at idle it's at 11.2 now. I do have underdrive pulleys but this has not been a factor in the performance in the past. Could my alternator be the cause of the detonation at higher rpm? In the past couple of days when I take off from a stop it seems to want to stall and it backfires. I do have one amp and a power sub. I have an Optima battery that is around two years old.

If it is the alternator I am looking at a 150 amp Powermaster.

If it is not the alternator, could the detonation be coming from oil through the valve seals? I am still consuming oil with the catch can.

I have no idea what is going on.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuel or tune? o2s too maybe?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

It has been tuned but at WOT I had problems from the get go. I was throwing a code that the knock sensors were bad so I changed those. It still detonated after that. I run the highest grade fuel. I have not changed out the O2's yet.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Birdie
It has been tuned but at WOT I had problems from the get go. I was throwing a code that the knock sensors were bad so I changed those. It still detonated after that. I run the highest grade fuel. I have not changed out the O2's yet.
Check your grounds on the motor, make sure they are tight, also double check the wiring to the knock sensors... make sure nothing has melted..
If you can log it, and see if the motor is pulling timing when it is missing, Ran into something similar before. wound up being both of the items discussed above.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Teching In

.....probably wouldn't hurt to check out that battery, either. I had one of them red tops - Brian @ Pavloc was installing my 'Street Assasin II' package and was having troubles with the tune. Come to find out - the red top had 2 dead cells and wouldn't recover a full charge. Apparently that battery don't like sitting for a while without charging........a simple check before spending any money.