Court of Criminal Appeals: LPs must be at the very front of the vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Court of Criminal Appeals: LPs must be at the very front of the vehicle

Just some info a lot of F-body folks in TX need to know. A lot of you like to put your front LPs in odd locations or behind the windshield. This ruling again rules that it is illegal.

HOUSTON—Texas drivers must display license plates on the front bumpers of their vehicles, the state’s top criminal court ruled Wednesday while upholding the conviction of a man sent to prison for 60 years on a drug charge.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals in a split decision Wednesday said it’s not good enough to just have a plate displayed somewhere else toward the front of the car or truck, like inside the front windshield.

The case involves a man pulled over in Lubbock four years ago because his plate was wedged between the dashboard and the windshield. An officer subsequently found Tawin Spence had about a half-pound of cocaine stuffed in his pants.

Spence appealed, saying his plate clearly was visible, that he shouldn’t have been stopped and that the drug evidence used to convict him of possession with intent to deliver cocaine was obtained improperly.

The ruling resolves conflicting opinions from lower state courts.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

i still don't understand how some of you think this law is going to change.

run the plate on your front bumper !!!!!!!

if not, the cops have every right to **** with you........

do i run one !?!? hell no, but that's my choice.

my former Marine Corps ID and my former Police ID really work in my favor though.........
Old 10-11-2010, 12:07 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Till you get a mesican hater that will still cite you, LOL.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 AM
9 Second Club

Just got hit for no front plate today. Cop got me doing 75 in a 65 on I-45 and saw that I didn't have a front plate. I told him someone had hit the front of my car recently, and I had no idea where it was. He said something like take a picture with my front plate on and it's a $10 fee or something. What exactly do I need to do in order to get that part dismissed?

I will NEVER run front plate because it just looks like **** imho. Also, what's the actual fine for not running a front plate?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Just got hit for no front plate today. Cop got me doing 75 in a 65 on I-45 and saw that I didn't have a front plate. I told him someone had hit the front of my car recently, and I had no idea where it was.
He actually bought that lame *** excuse?
"I got hit on my front bumper, but the only damage it did was knock off my license plate, which is embedded inside the nose of the bumper significantly, then, to cover any damage, I put in my license plate cover. I'd take it off, but... uh... it's super glued in."
Old 10-12-2010, 12:35 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
He actually bought that lame *** excuse?
"I got hit on my front bumper, but the only damage it did was knock off my license plate, which is embedded inside the nose of the bumper significantly, then, to cover any damage, I put in my license plate cover. I'd take it off, but... uh... it's super glued in."
Pretty much. I said someone hit my car about 2 weeks ago, and since my dad owns a bodyshop (which is true) that we got it fixed quick, but my license plate was nowhere to be found. Lol.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by imlooking
i still don't understand how some of you think this law is going to change.
further proof that this is no longer the land of the people. lobby groups ($$$) > private citizens in the eyes of a public figure.