Air Force Reserve (Advice type Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Force Reserve (Advice type Thread)

like the title says iv been thinking about enlisting into the Air Force Reserve to gain my degree in meteorology/ climatology, but before all that here is a little background
I graduated Cinco Ranch High this past June thinking im going to like the college work and be able to do all of the hard work like 90% of the people that went to my high school. Im now enrolled at Lonestar up in cypress, taking 3 classes, I quickly found out that college isnt like i thought it would be and now im thinking its not for me.

Im now thinking about enlisting in the Air force reserve and get through life that way, There are great benefits that i would be able to get from the reserve but im still not sure its for me also. If anyone has been through the reserve , how is it? what are the draw back of it? what are the other good things about it? Is there another alternative than the reserve?

Iv posted this back on seatstaysup you can chime in here or over there (link below)
http://seatstaysup.com/forums/showth...649#post414649
Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

21 views and no one can chime in?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about reserve but my older brother is active duty and he must like it if he did 6 years then re-enlisted for another 4...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camAro242
21 views and no one can chime in?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/military-hotrod-club-109/
Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

I will say this.The military did nothing but good for me.At the time I hated it but looking back on life now I can thank god I made that choice.Especially looking at where I was and what I was doing before I went in.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's the reason you do not like college? If it's because of studying etc. you will not escape that by joining the Military. Military is all about training, studying, school, etc etc.

If it's college mentality and life you do not want right now, then join Active Duty AF, not the reserves. Get fully trained, experience and time under your belt, then transfer to Reserves after your enlistment and finish college with the Post 9/11 GI bill.

We need more info to help inform you the best we can....

Hope this helps
Old 10-14-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 8urls1
I will say this.The military did nothing but good for me.At the time I hated it but looking back on life now I can thank god I made that choice.Especially looking at where I was and what I was doing before I went in.
+1 for my brother
Old 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
11 Second Club

Military is great, but you will have to bust ***.....more than college. Heres my opinion.

If you have had the ambition to join the military before, do it. If not, dont join....go to college.

If you have an intrest in the military, go to college, get a degree, and decide if its for you. If it is, become an officer.

Others may chime in, but I hate when people join the military for the wrong reasons. You will be unhappy and misearable.

Some may ask what the wrong reason.....true story.....I went to Marine OCS and we all were BSn on why we were there and a guy commented that he thought the uniform looked bad ***. He ended up being an *** and we let him go his way.

Do your research, find out whats available to you. Take the ASVAB and see what you qualify for. Then see whats available. Then see what will benefit you in the future. Note that you will not always get what you want. Depends on your demographics and what the needs of the miltary are.

Lastly, there are good recruiters out there....but the majority of them want a body. Dont believe everything they say. They have a quota to meet.

Post what they say in the military section of the forum and you will be told if they are BSn or not.

Best of luck. You cant go wrong either way. I am assuming your 18....the military will make you grow up quick
Old 10-15-2010, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by triche
Military is great, but you will have to bust ***.....more than college. Heres my opinion.

If you have had the ambition to join the military before, do it. If not, dont join....go to college.

Best of luck. You cant go wrong either way. I am assuming your 18....the military will make you grow up quick
Right when i got out of school i had a little interest of joining but didnt put the time in to research like i am now. im going to be turning 20 this coming march, for my age group i am pretty mature than most but i still could grow up a bit more.

Originally Posted by turbo
What's the reason you do not like college? If it's because of studying etc. you will not escape that by joining the Military. Military is all about training, studying, school, etc etc.

If it's college mentality and life you do not want right now, then join Active Duty AF, not the reserves. Get fully trained, experience and time under your belt, then transfer to Reserves after your enlistment and finish college with the Post 9/11 GI bill.

We need more info to help inform you the best we can....

Hope this helps
College wasnt what i expected it to be, what i mean by that is there is a **** load of work, as soon as i drop a paper off i immediately get another within 2 mins, something im not 100% use to yet. The tests on the other hand are hard but its not like omg i this is the hardest **** in the world type of deal, its doable. The reason why i want to join though to help me through college (financially) and the benefits that would help me start my life. It would also build my character real quick
Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by camAro242
The reason why i want to join though to help me through college (financially) and the benefits that would help me start my life. It would also build my character real quick
Stay in college and do OCS. You are in school in they help with expenses. Have programs built for this

OCS: Officer Candidate School
Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Joining the guard is not going to financially take care of you through college as well as you think it is, in the guard you do not receive the POST 9/11 GI Bill. You only receive tuition reimbursement through the guard UNLESS you deploy for more than 90 (or 180?) days. The career field you're interested in I think is only an active duty AFSC (job). So if I were you, what i would do is go talk to an Active Duty recruiter and chat him up, or you can ask me some questions and ill see what I can answer.

I went Active Duty right out of High School in 2004, i did 5 years, went overseas and partied for 4 years, joined the Air National Guard consecutively and came back to Houston in 2009. I drill once a month now at Ellington Field, I went to school for a bit and got about $1550 a month plus a $1000 a year for books and supplies. I start temporary technician status on Tuesday for 8 Months, and after that im hitting the books up again full time.

I do have to say though, I worked hard for it and grew up fast, some days I absolutely hate myself for joining the service. Other days like when im in school I am absolutely happy that i get paid to attend school for 9 hours a week. Its a REAL love-hate relationship.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

first off thanks everyone for the advice, redroc4- that helped me put it into perspective i still havent made my mind up but this helped alot if i do need any Q's asked ill pm you
Old 10-16-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Wait awhile before you make the decision to join the military. If you need to take a break from college, go get a hard working job and work your *** of for a year.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Once your start working and making money its hard to just up and quit your job and go back to school because most of the time you get used to making so much and start having payments on things...I made about 60,000 last year and it was hard for me to just up and move and go back to school and I didn't really have any bills or payments...I know in the long run it will be better for me thou
Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

hints all the past toys I've had...and I'm 23
Old 10-17-2010, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
Once your start working and making money its hard to just up and quit your job and go back to school because most of the time you get used to making so much and start having payments on things...I made about 60,000 last year and it was hard for me to just up and move and go back to school and I didn't really have any bills or payments...I know in the long run it will be better for me thou
true story, that was my plan, get off probation and join up. then i got a job, ive now been there about 22 months, just got off probation finally, but theres not a popsicles' chance in hell im gonna quit my 70k a year job to join up now, and part of me wonders if i should do just that.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

I am a Navy Reserve recruiter here in Houston. Reserve is a fantastic option for anyone who has never been prior military. Just know that you will be going to San Antonio every month for your drill weekends, other than that it should be fine. If you have taken your SATs after 2008 and you are under 23 years old you should apply for the NROTC scholarship program. You can have 100 percent of your college paid for and if you do qualify, you do not have to except the scholarship. If you want any info on Navy Reserve, pm me. Good Luck
Old 10-17-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
hints all the past toys I've had...and I'm 23
The pharmaceutical Industry was good to you in amarillo!!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GOHOME
I am a Navy Reserve recruiter here in Houston. Reserve is a fantastic option for anyone who has never been prior military. Just know that you will be going to San Antonio every month for your drill weekends, other than that it should be fine. If you have taken your SATs after 2008 and you are under 23 years old you should apply for the NROTC scholarship program. You can have 100 percent of your college paid for and if you do qualify, you do not have to except the scholarship. If you want any info on Navy Reserve, pm me. Good Luck
I wouldnt mind moving up to san antonio, my brothers go to school up in san marcos and i might be moving there as well for school. All and all i just have to see how things play out naturally, thanks again for all of the advice it has helped a lot guys
Old 10-17-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
The pharmaceutical Industry was good to you in amarillo!!
Lol yea you know it was