What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are my options?

*Get your coffee for this one... it's a bit lengthy... but for those of you that don't like stories without pictures, I've provided a few for you as well.*

Today coming home from work I had a little run in with the LAW!

Here's how it went down.
Intersection of Culebra and 410. Coming off 410, turning right onto Culebra at the light... seen here:

I'm at about a car's length past where the arrow is, when the intersection light turns Red. Car in front of me goes. I know on the other side of the highway, their light turns Green at about the same time, so since I'm already in momentum going forward, there shouldn't be any problem with me merging into the lane before they get through the intersection.
I can prove this with screen shots seen here:

Notice the pickup. That's about where I was, light is yellow. Light turns red in the next shot, and I panned to the left to show...

light is red, and traffic hasn't even gone under the bridge yet.

Alright, back to my situation-
(The intersection- coming out of turn)

Notice McDonald's to the right?

That's the only entrance on that side to get to the businesses on the access road, naturally, everyone decides to break pretty hard to A. Avoid hitting the idiots crossing over to get to that entrance, or B. They themselves seemingly forget how close the entrance is, and try not to miss it.
So, the guy in front of me, decided to take the turn pretty slow (playing it safe no doubt). When I came out of the turn, I was approaching his rear bumper rather quickly (speed limit is 40mph here) and while taking a corner that quick isn't a problem, taking it at that specific corner with the uneven road just isn't something I ever do. So there's no way I was even up to speed yet, which led me to believe guy in front was taking it slow, no biggy I thought.
I glance in rear view behind me, and see white cruiser coming up pretty quick. I hit the left signal (had to click it down twice since it was still going from the right hand turn) and change lanes to the left pretty quick. Click it off. Still accelerating, I get up to speed (40mph) and pass the car in front.
At about...here:

Just passing the Wendy's on the left, and the Fire Station on the right, the cruiser changes lanes to the left to get behind me and turns on his lights.
Immediately I check my speed. 42-43mph...ish. Not passed the 45 mark.

I tap the brakes in acknowledgment, and turn on my left signal again (again, to show acknowledgment, but there's no where for me to safely turn into.

Not able to make the first entrance to the Northside Activity Center parking lot, I get into the middle turn lane, and proceed to the next entrance. To which I turn into and park in the lot:

(Don't get turned around, I flipped views from opposite angle. I turned left, into the lot on the right (in picture) and parked just behind where the school bus is).

I parked, turned off the car, and rolled down my window, lowered the radio, and placed both hands on the steering wheel so as to avoid any issues. Cruiser parked behind me and 2 officers got out of the vehicle. One stood behind my passenger door, while the other walked up to driver's side.
He asked about my 'erratic lane change back there'. I explained I came out of the turn, saw I was approaching the slower driver in front of me, noticed the police cruiser coming up behind me, and decided to get out of the way. Officer cut in and said "slower driver? Looked to be going the speed limit to me." I said, "regardless of whether he was or not, I was approaching him, you were approaching me, I needed to get out of the way."
He takes my license and goes back to his car. Other officer stays at my passenger window.
This is getting long, so skipping ahead, after another cruiser performs an impressive quick U-turn maneuver in the middle of traffic, and pulling into the lot to block me in...... the officer ticketed me for, and here's what he told me as he handed it to me:
I'm not going to ticket you for the erratic lane change, not for the tailgating of that guy directly in front of you... but I am going to ticket you for the failure to use your turn signal.
I burst out with a "Seriously?! I always use my signal!" The officer started to laugh, or chortle in disbelief, he looks across the roof of my car to the other officer and says, "well, you didn't this time..." and I sign the ticket and that's that.

I couldn't find a "fail to use turn signal" under the "fines" on the back of the citation so I'm assuming it falls under the "All Other Violations.....$162.00" category.

What would you guy's do? Let's keep it civil and mature. I'd like honest opinions here please.
Also, I realize, it could've been worse (it can always be worse), but at the same time, if he hadn't pulled me over to begin with, then it couldn't have been worse. So... yeah.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your word vs his, your gonna lose in court. it sucks, but cops aren't always fair so you gotta deal with it sometimes. he didn't throw the book at you, and they DO have to write some ppl tickets or they don't get paid, so i'd say you could have had it worse. Also, some turn signals are delayed from when you hit the switch so it may not have actually come on.

I'm on your side 100% that you were not wrong, but that ^ is my honest opinion. I've been where you are before and it sucks.

good luck anyways though!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I realize that our fbody turn signals (stock) are slower than molasses. I'd LOVE to see the cruiser cam just to see if it even flashed just once. I'm fairly certain it did. Just barely pushing on the stalk (before the click) will turn the signal lights on.
Thank you for your honest opinion man. I appreciate it.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:10 AM
TECH Junkie

deal with it and get a traffic attorney.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Staging Lane

I got one of these tickets before in Garland. I had to pay 260. Good luck on your hope its less then mine was.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

go to court, set it for judge trial, go to court. If the officer does not show, ticket dismissed. If he does show, tell the judge you are still compiling evidence and are not ready to try the case, ask for a reset for a later date. if the judge askes why tell him/her that its tough to take pictures in the middle of teh street with traffic all around but you are actively making progress and just need a little more time. the odds of this officer showing for court twice on the same case is basically none.

all this kinda hinges on one fact though, did you distinguish yourself to the officer? will he remember you and show for court just to be a dick?

always make sure the officer will forget you as soon as he drives away, they never show up to court. make him hate you (ie ruin his day by being a dick head) and they will be there every time.

FWIW ive been doing this for years with loads of success, I just cleared out a set of 3 tickets, the judge recognized my face instantly and laughed, then smiled, then looked me dead in the eye "case dismissed". while smileing i said "thank you ma'am." At this point I dont even try to hide my arrogance about it in the court room any more BUT at ALL TIMES you must be polite and respectfull, quick and prepared. They notice that stuff, make them laugh, tell them to smile, put em in a better mood than they were before you spoke to em.

the poor lazy *** cops jsut keep wasting their time and they know damn well thats whats up.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

ps, when you go to the trial date, take all these pictures with you, along with this explanation. you are already prepared to make an argument in court with what you have here so theres no reason to be at court unprepared. when the cops do show for court (run outside and take pics of the flying pigs...) and your waaaay more prepared than they are, it makes them look awful and feel stupid, and thats how you win.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was very respectful to the officer, and he returned the favor. I'm not trying to say the officer(s) were douches or dicks or anything of that matter. I'm just saying I don't believe I deserved to be ticketed.
Is there a way to review the dash cam before going to court, or does it have to be subpoenaed by a judge?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

I'd assume they would throw the case out before any dash cam is pulled. It's a minor ticket that usually gets overlooked, I doubt they're going to waste time reviewing footage.

Either do as CarsandWomen mentioned or do what 5w20 stated.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

The dash cam wouldn't have caught it normally anyway. Most automatically turn on when the overhead lights are turned on, but but they can be manually turned on as well to prove probable cause for a stop...usually if the officer has been following you for a while. It's very doubtful his camera was on just during normal traffic patrol.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Morbid
I'd assume they would throw the case out before any dash cam is pulled. It's a minor ticket that usually gets overlooked, I doubt they're going to waste time reviewing footage.

Either do as CarsandWomen mentioned or do what 5w20 stated.
Well, I wish they'd just throw out the case!
Not really looking to spend more money on a traffic attorney.
Originally Posted by LS69TA
The dash cam wouldn't have caught it normally anyway. Most automatically turn on when the overhead lights are turned on, but but they can be manually turned on as well to prove probable cause for a stop...usually if the officer has been following you for a while. It's very doubtful his camera was on just during normal traffic patrol.
Interesting, wasn't clear on that. Good to know. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

No problem. That's how alot of departments are. They don't want to waste money on video tapes if they don't have to. I'm with a smaller department and our Chief wants us to save $ any way we can.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Considering the police car didn't have it lights on prior to your delimma I'de say you created this debacle of fate at your own will.

Be glad you only went home with (1) ticket.

1st Violation: Regardless of drivers (slow) intentions in front of you is their a legal reason you couldn't reduce your speed and keep a safe distance?

2nd Violation: You admitted fault "and change lanes to the left pretty quick" = "erratic lane change".

3rd Violation: Nervous because Five0 is near causing your once in a lifetime inccident of not using your turn signal prior to erratic lane change.

Looks like an open/shut case to me.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2TR
Considering the police car didn't have it lights on prior to your delimma I'de say you created this debacle of fate at your own will.

Be glad you only went home with (1) ticket.

1st Violation: Regardless of drivers (slow) intentions in front of you is their a legal reason you couldn't reduce your speed and keep a safe distance?

2nd Violation: You admitted fault "and change lanes to the left pretty quick" = "erratic lane change".

3rd Violation: Nervous because Five0 is near causing your once in a lifetime inccident of not using your turn signal prior to erratic lane change.

Looks like an open/shut case to me.
Al?
There's not a 'legal' reason I couldn't slow down, but there was a judgment call that needed to be made for what would be the 'safest' reaction. I took what I thought to be the safest route possible.
Changing lanes 'pretty quick' doesn't equal 'erratic' driving. Does it? That would mean changing lanes on the highway would be illegal, if minimum lane changing speed is 55-65mph.
Honestly, I didn't realize the cruiser behind me was law enforcement until after I made the lane change. At the point in time when I saw him coming up behind me I thought it to just be a white car coming up fast. For the point of the original post I defined him as the 'police cruiser' so as to no create confusion, and give clear indication as to where the officer's vehicle was in relation to mine throughout this whole situation.