Quick little bit of help and advice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick little bit of help and advice...

So Im growing very tired of my little Cobalt very fast. Its a damn money pit. Plus Im trading up to something larger due to a growing family. However, for the past few years I've been tossing around the idea of taking a mid to late 80's model GM, either a Camaro or Monte Carlo, and building a nice carb'd 383 with maybe a Weiand blower. For me its just more fun to not have to worry about electronic fuel injection or computer based ignition.

But this brings me to a predicament... Im not entirely sure on the laws regarding inspections for vehicles of that era, and how would I go about doing something like that while maintaining street legality. What year models have to be OBD scanned and which ones can just be sniffered? That is where Im getting confused so if anyone on here could help me out with the specifics I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC anything 80's is sniffed if it has to have emmission inspection anyhow. Anything beyond 25 years is safety only. So, basically and 87 and older is safety only. If you are going to spend a year or so building it and 88 would be fine because it would be exempt when you get it together.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Sweet!! Well I've been looking in the 85-86 range, hopefully 86 since that's the year I was born and I'm partial. Haha.

What I was thinking was that if I had to have cats, I would run the with just a couple cut-outs before them for race purposes that way I would still be able to be free flowing on the exhaust when need be but still legal for the street. I just hate vehicles that have to be plugged in to be inspected.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:12 PM
9 Second Club

my 86 mustang passed with no problems and i dont have any emission stuff on it at all. old school carb'd SBC and TH350 with 3" dumped exhaust.

Quick Reply: Quick little bit of help and advice...