Any of you "detailer" shops/guys polish aluminum wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any of you "detailer" shops/guys polish aluminum wheels?

I was wondering if any of you local detailers polish wheels, I have a set of CCWs that need to be repolished. They are a little beyond a power cone and mothers... I think they are gonna need some sanding and polishing. Any site supporters interested in trying to get these back to the way they should be?

And the one I already buffed on for two hours that scratched it more then it helped it..

I have the center caps as well that need polishing. I thought about a chrome shop to polish them but I know it would be stupid expensive.

Any takers?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

They are a pain in the a$$ to polish. I normally take mine apart and buff them on a buffer using various buffing wheels whenever they get bad. Ive done it several times and this next time I will probably just pay someone to do it. I was quote 45-65 per lip by CNS Polish.

I did have my centers anodized so I don't have to worry about those anymore so now I just have to keep up with the lips.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought these used and they were neglected, they were on a race car that apparently didnt get washed often. I will keep them up once I get them polished, I won't let them get bad to start with... I'll only be running them occassionally on the street and a few times a year at the track/events.

If I buffed on them enough, I could get them to shine but the scratches on them would still be there. I would like to get them repolished right, then just stay on top of em.

I hate polished wheels, they look awesome when fresh off the cloth but they are a PITA to keep up. I run chrome Speedlines for my normal wheels and they are easy to keep up and always look great.

I PM'd Excessive about doing them, we'll see what he says... If I can't find anyone, then they'll go to the chrome/polish shop and I'll get raped on the cost..
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used this stuff on them this last time. They have lasted a lot longer this time around. My wheels are always outside too so for you they should hold up for a very long time.

http://www.eastwood.com/sharkhide-al...FVCd4AodXggAzA

This is the last time i worked on them.

Last edited by DopeFedZ; 01-15-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW.... Those look phenomenal!! I'll go check that stuff out..

Ofcourse I still need someone to sand/buff/polish em but...

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same wheels here, same issue. I need mine done badly but I bought all the stuff to do it, just gotta get off my *** and do it.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

After I finsh one I get bored and the usually sit for weeks until get motivated again lol.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike96z
Same wheels here, same issue. I need mine done badly but I bought all the stuff to do it, just gotta get off my *** and do it.
LOL.... I'm with you bro... I went and bought about $80 worth of stuff to do them (Power Cone, Power ball, 2 cans of Mothers metal polish, Billet polish, micro fiber towels, cotton buffing towels etc etc...)

I worked on one for about an hour so so and saw I was NOT getting the stuff off of them, nor were the scratches coming out.... At this point, I seek a professional to get them right..

I did just order new some center caps from CCW so I atleast wont have to mess with polishing them.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

I use some stuff called white Diamond wheel polish. I found it to be one of the best polishes I have ever used. Maybe after you get your wheels done by someone, you can keep up with them with that polish. Advance auto parts is the only place that sells it unless you order off the Internet.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Launching!

X2. White diamond is the ****.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

usually wetsand them to get the hard water spots/ etching out of them, then hand polish them out. ive kept my fikse fm10s and tt2s up this way for years. still look brand new. ill have them ready for you in a week or so Alan.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by s-10ls1
I use some stuff called white Diamond wheel polish. I found it to be one of the best polishes I have ever used. Maybe after you get your wheels done by someone, you can keep up with them with that polish. Advance auto parts is the only place that sells it unless you order off the Internet.
Comp sales has white diamond flying j truck stops and there is a chrome shop off of i10 headed to Baytown that sales it.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

I'll never.. EVER have polished wheels ever again.. Such a PITA
Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was thinking about getting my CCW's chromed so that I would not have to deal with polishing them. Mine needs to be polished good them a sealer to help, they are on my daily driver car.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 AM
Launching!

I can polish them up for you depending on the distance, can't post links here but PM me and ill shoot you my info/website/ect.

Another option you could add, is either a permanant coating (opti-coat) or a seal them after full polishing so you won't have to deal with this again for a LONG time lol.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by colinpd137
I can polish them up for you depending on the distance, can't post links here but PM me and ill shoot you my info/website/ect.

Another option you could add, is either a permanant coating (opti-coat) or a seal them after full polishing so you won't have to deal with this again for a LONG time lol.

Thanks for the offer... But I already dropped them off with Joe to polish them.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a place in Oklahoma City called Wheel Works:

http://www.wheelworksok.com/

They can take care of what you need, they have done my race and street wheels on my car and my trucks. great work and a good price.

Chad
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Teching In

My buddy is a billet/aluminum polishing expert. Check out the results on my wheels.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...d-my-ccws.html
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Thanks for the offer... But I already dropped them off with Joe to polish them.
No worries! Looked it up and we're about 3hrs apart. So i'm sure that was the better route. Post some pics up when he's finished cleaning those bad boys up!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maxx_Z06
My buddy is a billet/aluminum polishing expert. Check out the results on my wheels.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...d-my-ccws.html
WOW.... yours came out beautiful.... he even polished the barrels.... He put some time into them for sure. No doubt that was some $$$...

Good to know we have some good metal polishers here in Houston for future options..

Quick Reply: Any of you "detailer" shops/guys polish aluminum wheels?