T/A has High RPMs when driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T/A has High RPMs when driving

I have a 99 T/A, as i was driving today the RPS stayed @ 2900-3100 RPMs when i would try to shift. It acted like i was giving it throttle the whole time. When i was going to stop signs and red lights i would place it in neutral but the RPM stayed in the high range. The only time it would drop is when i was at a complete stop, Even when i was coasting at a couple of MPH it would stay close to 3K RPM. What could be telling it to rev up on it's own? Thanks for any info
Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you're saying that when you come to a complete stop, the rpms go back to normal idle speed?

I would say tuning issue, but it just happened out of the blue right? So probably a sensor going bad. Any check engine lights/codes?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 AM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the tps
Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be tps or even the idle air controller going bad. But if this has been happening since you got the car and it has a tune, it could be tune related with the throttle follower /cracker tables. Also check that the idle set screw isn't too far in or if someone drilled too large of a hole in the throttle blade. If the car is stock, you probably only have to worry about the throttle position sensor but I've heard of vacuum leaks causing this too

Quick Reply: T/A has High RPMs when driving